Precession: Deriation of formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for gyroscopic precession and its derivation. The formula is \textbf{wp} = \frac{Q}{I*w}, where I*w = L (angular momentum). The conversation also mentions a link for further explanation and a possible error in the derivation. A combination of two derivations is suggested, along with a question about angle v and its relation to delta L. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the validity of the argumentation.
JolleJ
Please see this link first: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession#Classical_.28Newtonian.29"

How do they get to the formula
[tex]\textbf{wp}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{Q}{I*w}[/tex]

I also note that I*w = L (angular momentum).

How do they get to that equation? I've thought and though, I just don't know how. I really hope that someone can give me a link to a deriation of it, or perhaps help me themselves.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try this: http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/GyroscopicPrecession.html"

Wow! Thank you so much.

Just one thing though: In equation (4), the d0, what is that? Change in angle? And where does that equation (4) come from? Never seen it before? Why is that true? :s

I think I get it now actually. It is because the change as well as angle are inifitsmally small... :) Right? :D

Yes, that's it. And because the torque is perpendicular to the angular momentum.

Now that I looked it over more carefully, I'm not happy with that derivation that I linked. It seems a bit sloppy. I'll post my own version in a bit.

Oh thank you so much! :eek: It's deeply appreciated.

I was just about to post my own derivation, when I found this on hyperphysics (one of my favorite educational sites--I highly recommend it): http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/top.html"

This is almost exactly what I would have written, so it saves me the trouble! If you have questions about this derivation, let me know.

Thank you once more. What I need is acutally a combination of the two. The first is good because it fits the precession of a bicycle wheel (which is what I need to explain), and the next is good because of the smart derivation.

I've tried to write it down, how I think I need it. But I'm not sure, if I did any errors... I would very much like if you could just quickly look it through?
Here's the link: http://peecee.dk/?id=85095" (danish upload site: Click "Download fil").
At the moment it hasn't got an illustration, I will make one however.

Thanks in advance, once again. :smile:

Oh, and a last question: Is this good argumentation:
If I call the angle v. Can I say this:

"It is obvious that
[tex]sin(v) = \frac{\Delta L}{L}[/tex]​
For infinitsimal small angles sin(v)=v, so that:
[tex]dv = \frac{dL}{L}[/tex]​
since the angle is small when delta L is small."

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
JolleJ said:
Thank you once more. What I need is acutally a combination of the two. The first is good because it fits the precession of a bicycle wheel (which is what I need to explain), and the next is good because of the smart derivation.

I've tried to write it down, how I think I need it. But I'm not sure, if I did any errors... I would very much like if you could just quickly look it through?
It looks OK to me. Note that your "r" is the moment arm--I assume your bicycle wheel is oriented perpendicular to the vertical?

JolleJ said:
Oh, and a last question: Is this good argumentation:
If I call the angle v. Can I say this:

"It is obvious that
[tex]sin(v) = \frac{\Delta L}{L}[/tex]​
For infinitsimal small angles sin(v)=v, so that:
[tex]dv = \frac{dL}{L}[/tex]​
since the angle is small when delta L is small."
It is certainly true that for small angles [itex]\sin\theta \approx \theta[/itex], as long as the angle is in radians. But you can also argue directly that as [itex]\Delta L[/itex] becomes small it more closely approximates the arc length of a circle, thus [itex]\Delta L/L[/itex] becomes the radian measure of the angle.

Thank you once more! :) I think I get it now. :D

1. What is precession and why is it important?

Precession is the slow rotational movement of the Earth's axis. It is important because it affects our planet's orientation and has an impact on climate, navigation, and astronomy.

2. How is the formula for precession derived?

The formula for precession is derived using mathematical equations that take into account the Earth's rotational axis, gravitational forces from the sun and moon, and other factors. It is a complex process involving calculus and celestial mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the precession formula in understanding Earth's movements?

The precession formula helps us understand how the Earth's axis changes over time and how it is affected by external forces. This knowledge is crucial for predicting future movements and understanding the Earth's past climate and geological changes.

4. How does precession affect the Earth's climate?

Precession affects the Earth's climate by altering the amount of solar radiation that reaches the planet's surface. As the Earth's axis changes, different parts of the planet receive more or less sunlight, which can lead to changes in temperature and precipitation patterns.

5. Can the precession formula be applied to other planets?

Yes, the precession formula can be applied to other planets and celestial bodies that experience rotational precession. The exact values and factors may differ, but the underlying principles and equations are the same.