Deriving Precession from First Principles

In summary, the conversation revolves around the derivation of the effect of forces in 3+1 dimensions, particularly in relation to precession in rotational motion. The use of Hamiltonian formulation and energy methods in different textbooks is discussed, as well as the difficulty in extending the analysis to higher dimensions. The speaker also shares their own attempts at deriving the equations and the challenges they faced. The conversation ends with the mention of a potential connection between rotations in 4D and 3D with "boosts" in special relativity.
Hornbein
I'm trying to figure out the effect of a force applied to a rotating body in 4+1 dimensions. A good place to start would be deriving the effect of forces in 3+1 dimensions. I have been looking around the Internet and even went to the local community college and checked out texts in the library and couldn't find an explanation. In 3D translation is easy, rotation is easy, what is left is precession. How is that derived from first principles?

I don't need the formula with the angular momentum and cross product. I need a derivation of that.

Physics news on Phys.org
A example of the gyroscope used to be an example in most introductory college physics books like Resnick and Halliday. I notice the example has been removed from Resnick and other introductory books lately. I feel this is OK because in my experience, I always had to gloss over the derivation. I have never found a careful derivation of the precession of a gyroscope without at least junior-senior (upper undergraduate) level involving the Hamiltonian formulation. This falls in the area of space mechanics. Rotational motion in 3d involving Euler angles etc is rarely treated in freshman-sophomore courses. Most often this is addressed in the second semester of undergraduate mechanics if the student is lucky enough to have one.

Examine Symon:Mechanics; Goldstein Mechanics: Presumably Marion/Thornton Mechanics. But these treatments tend to use Energy methods rather than force methods.

As far as extending this analysis to higher dimensions, I am not sanguine about the success. Three dimensions has rotational properties that four dimensions does not have. For example rotation in 3-D always has an invariant axis. This is not guaranteed with 4-dimensions.

mpresic said:
A example of the gyroscope used to be an example in most introductory college physics books like Resnick and Halliday. I notice the example has been removed from Resnick and other introductory books lately. I feel this is OK because in my experience, I always had to gloss over the derivation. I have never found a careful derivation of the precession of a gyroscope without at least junior-senior (upper undergraduate) level involving the Hamiltonian formulation. This falls in the area of space mechanics. Rotational motion in 3d involving Euler angles etc is rarely treated in freshman-sophomore courses. Most often this is addressed in the second semester of undergraduate mechanics if the student is lucky enough to have one.

Examine Symon:Mechanics; Goldstein Mechanics: Presumably Marion/Thornton Mechanics. But these treatments tend to use Energy methods rather than force methods.

Thank you very much. The Hamiltonian it is. I'll see whether I can get those through interlibrary loan.

I used Halliday and Resnick as a textbook way back when and it had that example. So I thought, "this will be easy." Not!

I think it is odd that it was removed. The result is useful "cookbook style" without the derivation.

mpresic said:
As far as extending this analysis to higher dimensions, I am not sanguine about the success. Three dimensions has rotational properties that four dimensions does not have. For example rotation in 3-D always has an invariant axis. This is not guaranteed with 4-dimensions.
Right. The idea is to abstract out the most basic physical principles such as conservation of momentum, see how the lead to the result in 3D, then apply them in other numbers of dimensions.

So far I've found this to be quite a useful exercise. One has to REALLY understand something to extend it to N D convincingly.

Last edited:
Some older textbooks on dynamics derive the gyroscope equations by initially considering the forces acting on and the motion of a single particle within the rotating body . This approach is intuitive and analytically simple .

I played around today along the following lines for gyroscopic motion. I wrote the Hamiltonian. Found two constants of the motion, which gave me the phi, and psi motion in terms of theta, which is still necessary. The differential equation for theta in terms of the constants of the motion reduces to an integral. This integral can be solved as stated in Goldstein, but the result is unilluminating (Goldstein's words). (The answer involves Jacobi, or Weierstrass Elliptic Functions, or elliptic integrals.) But this is a tough way if you just want precession with no nutation.
In the end, I found the "effective potential" (for theta) as done in Goldstein or Symon, maybe Marion. The force should be the minus gradient of this potential. If you end up taking the negative gradient, you will get an unilluminating mess of angular momentum components, energy, and two moments of inertia. All told a real mess.

If I remember correctly, Goldstein shows in his chapter on special relativity, that rotations in 4d correspond to rotations in 3d and "boosts". I may have been hasty in dismissing the problem. Happy hunting for the solution. Best Wishes

mpresic said:
I played around today along the following lines for gyroscopic motion. I wrote the Hamiltonian. Found two constants of the motion, which gave me the phi, and psi motion in terms of theta, which is still necessary. The differential equation for theta in terms of the constants of the motion reduces to an integral. This integral can be solved as stated in Goldstein, but the result is unilluminating (Goldstein's words). (The answer involves Jacobi, or Weierstrass Elliptic Functions, or elliptic integrals.) But this is a tough way if you just want precession with no nutation.
In the end, I found the "effective potential" (for theta) as done in Goldstein or Symon, maybe Marion. The force should be the minus gradient of this potential. If you end up taking the negative gradient, you will get an unilluminating mess of angular momentum components, energy, and two moments of inertia. All told a real mess.

If I remember correctly, Goldstein shows in his chapter on special relativity, that rotations in 4d correspond to rotations in 3d and "boosts". I may have been hasty in dismissing the problem. Happy hunting for the solution. Best Wishes

I've ordered Symon and Goldstein through interlibrary loan. Couldn't find Marion.

Elliptic integrals! My God, I had no idea.

I'm working on rotations in 4+1 space. The 3+1 special relativity boost rotations are partial as they are limited to <90 degrees, so precession doesn't enter into the picture (as far as I know.)

Special relativity is basically 1+1 dimensional, so it can be expected to work the same in every space of any interest. The extra dimensions are more or less irrelevant.

Related to Deriving Precession from First Principles

1. What is precession and how is it derived from first principles?

Precession is the gradual change in the orientation of an object's rotational axis. It can be derived from first principles by considering the torque and angular momentum of a rotating object.

2. What are the first principles used to derive precession?

The first principles used to derive precession include the laws of motion, conservation of angular momentum, and the principles of torque and inertia.

3. What is the significance of deriving precession from first principles?

Deriving precession from first principles allows us to understand the underlying physical principles behind this phenomenon. It also provides a more accurate and comprehensive explanation compared to empirical observations.

4. Can precession be derived for all rotating objects?

Yes, precession can be derived for all rotating objects as long as the first principles used in the derivation are applicable to the specific object.

5. How is precession observed in real-life scenarios?

Precession can be observed in various real-life scenarios, such as the precession of a spinning top, the precession of Earth's rotational axis, and the precession of a gyroscope. It can also be observed in celestial bodies, such as the precession of the Earth's axis of rotation relative to the stars.