Direction of the Magnetic Field due to a Wire

In summary, the question is asking for the direction of the magnetic field at points C, D, and E due to a wire. Using the Right Hand Rule for a Straight Wire, the answer is determined to be: C - Out of the page, D - Not into the page or not out of the page, and not = 0, E - Into the page. The reason for the answer for D is explained by considering the individual contributions of I and 2I and adding them up.
cse63146
[SOLVED] Direction of the Magnetic Field due to a Wire

Homework Statement

1013366B.jpg

Find the magnetic field at point C, D, E.

The choices are for all 3 are

i) Out of the page
ii) Into the page
iii) Not into the page or not out of the page, and not = 0
iv) 0

Homework Equations

The Right Hand Rule for a Straight Wire

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the answer for:

C - Out of the page
D - Not into the page or not out of the page, and not = 0
E - Into the page

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the individual contributions of I and 2I for point D, and then add up. C and E are correct, even though you didn't give any reason.

Shooting Star said:
Think about the individual contributions of I and 2I for point D, and then add up. C and E are correct, even though you didn't give any reason.

I used the Right Hand Rule for a Straight Wire, I just didnt know how to describe what I did.

Thank you for the suggestion for D.

So since I_1 doesn't equal I_2, D can't be 0.

Since I_2 > I_1, it would have more effect on it, using the right hand rule for a straight wire, D would be coming out of the page

Last edited:
Thank You for your help.

1. What is the direction of the magnetic field around a wire?

The direction of the magnetic field around a wire is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow, the direction of your curled fingers will represent the direction of the magnetic field.

2. Does the direction of the current affect the direction of the magnetic field?

Yes, the direction of the current determines the direction of the magnetic field. If the current changes direction, the magnetic field will also change direction accordingly.

3. How does the distance from the wire affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field around a wire decreases as the distance from the wire increases. This is because the magnetic field follows an inverse square law, meaning that the strength decreases as the distance squared.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be changed by changing the direction of the current flow. Additionally, placing the wire in a different orientation or using a different wire material can also change the direction of the magnetic field.

5. Is there a difference in the direction of the magnetic field for a straight wire and a coiled wire?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field for a straight wire is along the axis of the wire, while the direction for a coiled wire is circular around the coil. This is due to the multiple loops of current in a coiled wire, which creates a more complex magnetic field pattern.