Direction of the Magnetic Field at a Point

In summary, using the right hand rule, the direction of the magnetic field at point P is into the page if the current in the top wire is greater than the current in the bottom wire, but out of the page if the current in the bottom wire is greater.
ktjj4

Homework Statement

The problem asks to find the direction of the magnetic field at point P, which is at the center of 2 separate semi-circle wires that form a circle. The current in each wire flows in the same direction (to the right). I attached a picture below.
rsz_20180408_224958.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the right hand rule for curved loops where your fingers curve in the direction of the current and your thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field.

I know the answer is that at point P, the magnetic field points into the page, but I don't understand.

When I use the right hand rule, for the top wire, my thumb points into the page, so does that mean the magnetic field for that wire points into the page in the area inside the circle and points out of the page above the top wire? And for the bottom wire, my thumb points out of the page, so does that mean that the magnetic field points out of the page in the area inside the circle and points into the page below the bottom wire?

This should be simple, but I feel as though I'm missing a piece of information.

Thank You

Attachments

• rsz_20180408_224958.jpg
    rsz_20180408_224958.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 532
Physics news on Phys.org
ktjj4 said:
I know the answer is that at point P, the magnetic field points into the page, but I don't understand
Are you sure about this?

Orodruin said:
Are you sure about this?
I mean, if I remember correctly, it is what my professor said.

ktjj4 said:
I mean, if I remember correctly, it is what my professor said.
Well, it is not correct. At least not for the case of ##I_1 = I_2## that is mentioned in the image.

Orodruin said:
Well, it is not correct. At least not for the case of ##I_1 = I_2## that is mentioned in the image.
That's the second part of the question. The first part just asks for the direction considering that the two currents are different.

ktjj4 said:
That's the second part of the question. The first part just asks for the direction considering that the two currents are different.
Then it depends on the relation between the sizes of the currents.

Orodruin said:
Then it depends on the relation between the sizes of the currents.
Oh, does that mean that the bigger current dictates the direction of the magnetic field at point P?

So, if the current in the top wire is greater than the bottom wire, the direction of the field at P is into the page, but if the current in the bottom wire is greater, then the direction is out of the page?

What if the currents were the same then?

ktjj4 said:
So, if the current in the top wire is greater than the bottom wire, the direction of the field at P is into the page, but if the current in the bottom wire is greater, then the direction is out of the page?
Yes.

ktjj4 said:
What if the currents were the same then?
You tell me. What do you think?

Orodruin said:
Yes.You tell me. What do you think?

I think I got it; so if I were to use Biot-Savart's law, the currents would end up cancelling each other out, no? And if there's no current, there's no field. So no direction.

ktjj4 said:
I think I got it; so if I were to use Biot-Savart's law, the currents would end up cancelling each other out, no?
More precisely: The magnetic field from each of the currents would cancel out. Your conclusion is correct.

Likes ktjj4
Orodruin said:
More precisely: The magnetic field from each of the currents would cancel out. Your conclusion is correct.

Oh ok, thanks for the help :)

1. What is the direction of the magnetic field at a point?

The direction of the magnetic field at a point is the direction in which a compass needle would point if placed at that point.

2. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined?

The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the electric current or the movement of charged particles.

3. Can the direction of the magnetic field change?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can change depending on the location and movement of the electric currents or charged particles.

4. Is the direction of the magnetic field the same everywhere?

No, the direction of the magnetic field can vary at different points depending on the location and strength of the sources of the magnetic field.

5. How does the direction of the magnetic field impact magnetic materials?

The direction of the magnetic field can influence the alignment of magnetic particles in a material, causing them to become magnetized in a specific direction.