Indexed Collection of Sets ((

• Thread starter rocomath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of indexed collections of sets and how to find the union and intersection of these sets. The union is represented by [0, infinity) and the intersection is represented by [0,1]. The intersection is found by choosing the smallest index within the sets and finding the common elements. The conversation also includes an example of this concept and how to visualize it.
rocomath
Indexed Collection of Sets ... :(((

My notes are confusing me so bad, worst part is that we're not using our book till later on and that just kills me a lot. I'm very text-book because notes never make sense to me.

Let [tex]A_n=[0,n][/tex]

a) What numbers are in [tex]\bigcup_{n=1}^{\infty}A_n[/tex]?

b) What numbers are in [tex]\bigcap_{n=1}^{\infty}A_n[/tex]?

Ok, so I have an example here ...

If

[tex]I=\{1,2,3...\}[/tex]

[tex]A_i=[-i,i][/tex]

Then

[tex]\bigcup=\mathbb{R}[/tex]

[tex]\bigcap=[-1,1][/tex]

I honestly, can't remember how we got [-1,1]?

a) Since An goes from 0 to n, wouldn't that make [tex]\bigcup=[0,\infty)[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org

Sure. The union is [0,infinity). What's the intersection? In your example, the intersection is [-1,1] because the smallest index is 1. I'm not sure what's confusing you so seriously here? Draw a picture of the sets.

Wouldn't my intersection for my example also be all real numbers? I could choose the smallest index within my set, which is 1. But I could continue choosing within the real number system, giving me an infinite amount of options.

[tex]\bigcap=\mathbb{R}[/tex]?

rocomath said:
Wouldn't my intersection for my example also be all real numbers? I could choose the smallest index within my set, which is 1. But I could continue choosing within the real number system, giving me an infinite amount of options.

[tex]\bigcap=\mathbb{R}[/tex]?

No, no, no. The smallest set in your system is A_1 All of the others include it. An element of the intersection has to be in ALL of the sets. The intersection is [0,1].

OHHH! In ALL the sets, makes a lot of sense now.

Because once I move onto n=2, I would have 0, 1, 2, but going back to n=1, it doesn't contain 2.

YAYYY :) Thanks!

1. What is an indexed collection of sets?

An indexed collection of sets is a data structure that contains a set of elements, with each element having a unique index. This allows for efficient access and retrieval of specific elements within the collection.

2. How is an indexed collection of sets different from a regular collection?

An indexed collection of sets differs from a regular collection in that it provides a specific index for each element, allowing for direct access to any element in the collection. In a regular collection, elements are typically accessed by their position in the collection.

3. What are some common applications for an indexed collection of sets?

An indexed collection of sets is often used in computer science and mathematics for tasks such as sorting, searching, and data retrieval. It can also be useful for implementing other data structures, such as hash tables and graphs.

4. How is an indexed collection of sets implemented in computer programming?

There are several ways to implement an indexed collection of sets in computer programming, including using arrays, linked lists, and hash tables. The specific implementation will depend on the programming language and the desired functionality of the collection.

5. What are the advantages of using an indexed collection of sets?

Some advantages of using an indexed collection of sets include fast access to elements, efficient searching and sorting, and the ability to store unique elements. It is also a versatile data structure that can be used in a variety of applications.