Does the Existence Theorem Contradict the Initial Value Problem?

In summary, the initial value problem x(dy/dx)=4y, y(0)=1 has no solution due to the general solution y=C*x^4 being invalid for y(0)=1. This contradicts the existence theorem, which states that if f(x,y) is continuous and bounded on a given region, then the initial value problem has a solution. However, in this case, the function f(x,y) (in this case, dy/dx) is not continuous and bounded, leading to the lack of a solution.
ariesleo

Homework Statement

show the initial value problem x(dy/dx)=4y, y(0)=1 has no solution. does this contradict the existence theorem. please explain

The Attempt at a Solution

it is easy to find out a general solution is y=C*e^(4x), C is a constant. and for any x the right part of the equation will always be
~~~~I'm sorry, I made a mistake here, the general solution should be y=C*x^4

bigger than zero, so there is no solution for y(0)=-1, the question is how to explain it?

the existence theorem I learned from class is the following:
For F(t,y,y')=0, I.C. y(x0)=y0 ...(EQ1)
Let R be the region a<x<b, c<y<d. Such that (x0,y0) belongs to R. If f(x,y) is continuous and bounded on R, then EQ1 has a solution. The validity of the solution is in R.

thanks~

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int \frac{1}{y} dy=\int \frac{4}{x}dx[/tex]

Your general solution is incorrect. The differential eq'n can be separated as shown above. Integrate again and simplify. Then put in the initial values and see if a solution exists.

I agree the poster's solution is faulty...The final result should be y=B(x^4),but that also shows there is no solution fo y(0)=1!Because with 1=B*0 you can't find the solution for constant B...THERE IS NO SOLUTION AS SHOWN ABOVE,mathematically the language is understood,this part am sure of!...Now about the EXISTENCE THEOREM[this part am not so sure,its logical and could be anything,I just read it anyways]...there is no clear statement associated with the question,I don't see an EXISTENTIAL QUANTIFIER to count for anything...ALTHOUGH,abstractly I would consider that the statement "show that there is no solution for y(0)=1" is equivalent to an existential quantifier of statement "for a value x=0 there is no value y=1" which DOES NOT really contradict the existence theorem...I still have doubts and this is not something to completely count on though I hope it has been helpful!

you are right, i made a mistake. I changed the answer.

after put the initial conditions, there is still no solutions.

thanks

thanks for your reply!

I posted the existence theorem I learned from class.

In my opinion, the function we get y=Ax^4 is continuous, however, by using the existence theorem we could not find a solution. that is the contradict point.

maybe the existence theorem is just sufficient. maybe that is why?

You quoted the existence theorem before as saying "If f(x,y) is continuous and bounded on R, then dy/dx= f(x,y) has a solution."

What is f(x,y) for this problem?

1. What is the Existence Theorem?

The Existence Theorem is a mathematical concept that states that for a given set of conditions and equations, there exists at least one solution. It is commonly used in the study of differential equations.

2. What is the Initial Value Problem?

The Initial Value Problem (IVP) is a mathematical problem where the goal is to find a solution to a differential equation that satisfies a set of initial conditions. These initial conditions are typically given in the form of a specific value for the dependent variable at a specific point in time or space.

3. How does the Existence Theorem relate to the Initial Value Problem?

The Existence Theorem does not contradict the Initial Value Problem. In fact, it is often used to prove the existence of a solution to an IVP. The theorem ensures that a solution exists, while the IVP provides the specific conditions for that solution.

4. Can the Existence Theorem be used to find a unique solution to the Initial Value Problem?

No, the Existence Theorem does not guarantee a unique solution to an IVP. It only guarantees the existence of at least one solution. Additional conditions or techniques must be used to determine the uniqueness of a solution.

5. Are there any limitations to the Existence Theorem in relation to the Initial Value Problem?

Yes, the Existence Theorem only applies to certain types of differential equations and may not be applicable in all cases. Additionally, the theorem does not provide a method for finding the solution to an IVP, it only proves its existence.