Is Your Fan Not Working Due to a Faulty Capacitor?

• Thread starter muh_j18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan
In summary, the issue with the non-functioning fan could be due to worn out bearings, internal shorts in the windings, or a faulty capacitor. It is important to address this issue promptly to prevent overheating. Additionally, if the fan does not start when spun manually, it could indicate a problem with the motor's starting mechanism or bearings.
muh_j18
my fan has stopped working recently, when i turn it on it makes hamming voice, but it doen't work, what might be the problem?

Engineering news on Phys.org
muh_j18 said:
my fan has stopped working recently, when i turn it on it makes hamming voice, but it doen't work, what might be the problem?

Don't leave it on and humming like that. It is stuck, and could overheat. It may be stuck because of worn out bearings, or because there are internal shorts in the windings that are reducing the overall torque, or both.

Time to replace the fan, I'm afraid.

could the problem be the capacitor?
single phase induction motors are not self starting, so if the capacitor is not working, the motor won't start running, am i wrong?

muh_j18 said:
could the problem be the capacitor?
single phase induction motors are not self starting, so if the capacitor is not working, the motor won't start running, am i wrong?

Interesting. Does the fan run if you start it by spinning it by hand? Do the fan blades seem to spin smoothly (no bearing problems)?

1. What is the purpose of a fan?

A fan is a device that circulates air in a room or space, providing a cooling or air flow effect. It helps to regulate the temperature and improve air flow, making the environment more comfortable.

2. How does a fan work?

A fan works by using a motor to rotate blades or propellers, which then move the air around them. This movement creates air currents that can help to cool down a room or space.

3. What are the different types of fans?

There are several types of fans, including ceiling fans, desk fans, tower fans, and box fans. Each type has its own unique design and features, but they all serve the same purpose of circulating air.

4. How do I choose the right fan for my needs?

When choosing a fan, consider the size of the space you want to cool, the level of noise you can tolerate, and any additional features you may want (such as remote control or oscillation). You may also want to consider energy efficiency and durability.

5. Can a fan be harmful to my health?

In general, fans are not harmful to your health. However, if you have allergies or asthma, a fan can potentially circulate dust and allergens in the air. It's important to regularly clean and maintain your fan to prevent this from happening.