Finding resistance in a vacuum (triode?)

In summary, the problem involves finding the values for R(b) and R(a) in a circuit with a grid bias resistor and a load resistor. The plate current is given as 5.6 mA and the previous problem had an 8 volt battery and a 25k Ohm load resistor. Using the load line equation, the values for R(b) and R(a) can be solved for, with R(a) being 23.6k Ohms and R(b) being 1.43k Ohms.
Acuben
Finding resistance in a vacuum (triode??)

Homework Statement

Suppose that we decided to provide the grid bias emf (-8volts) with a grid bias resistor, R(b),
inserted between point B and the cathod. (E(c) is to be removed from the circuit, of course.)
Assume that there is a negleigible current in the grid circuit.
The 25k Ohm load resistor is replaced by a resistor R(a).
If the plate current is still 5.6 mA, what are R(b) and R(a)?
note: it does refer some information from previous problem. There was 8volt battery on
the grid (left part of the circuit) and the current was 5.6 mA (same as here).
R(a) used to be 25k Ohm.
I don't think it matters that much though...
If something from the previous problem needs to be mentioned, let me know.

http://yfrog.com/03vacuumg

answer: (k=1000)
R(a)=23.6k Ohms
R(b)=1.43k Ohms

Homework Equations

load line eq: V=E-IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to set it up in the first place. I spent like 2 hours on this (yes it wasn't a wise decision...^^;;)

I have 1 equation and 2 unknowns...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

If you think the problem lacks information, let me know.

1. How is resistance measured in a vacuum?

Resistance in a vacuum is typically measured using a vacuum triode, which is a device that contains a cathode, an anode, and a control grid. The resistance can be calculated by measuring the current flowing through the triode and the voltage applied to the anode.

2. What factors affect resistance in a vacuum?

The main factors that affect resistance in a vacuum are the temperature of the cathode, the distance between the cathode and anode, and the material of the cathode. The temperature of the cathode is particularly important as it affects the number of electrons that can be emitted.

3. How does resistance in a vacuum compare to resistance in air?

Resistance in a vacuum is typically much higher than resistance in air. This is because there are no air molecules to conduct electricity in a vacuum, so the flow of electrons is limited by the characteristics of the triode and the temperature of the cathode.

4. Can resistance in a vacuum be reduced?

Yes, resistance in a vacuum can be reduced by using a more efficient vacuum triode or by increasing the temperature of the cathode. However, it is not possible to completely eliminate resistance in a vacuum due to the absence of conducting particles.

5. What are some practical applications of measuring resistance in a vacuum?

Measuring resistance in a vacuum is important in the development of vacuum tubes and other high-voltage electronic devices. It is also used in vacuum systems for particle accelerators and in vacuum deposition processes for manufacturing thin films. Additionally, it is used in scientific research to study the properties of electrons in a vacuum environment.