Liquid that changes color back and forth.

In summary, there are two potential reactions that could fit the description of a liquid changing color when shaken and then returning to its original color when settled: the Briggs–Rauscher reaction or the Belousov–Zhabotinsky reaction. However, these reactions may not last forever and could eventually stop without external stimulation. Another similar reaction is the "Iodine Clock/Vitamin C Reaction," which can be found on YouTube and involves iodine reacting with chemicals. It may not be suitable for long-term use. It is suggested to start a new thread for other suggestions or to look for ideas in past science fair threads.
wsomma
I remember seeing a liquid that changes color when you shake it and then changes back to it's original color when it settles. Does anyone know what reaction this is? I would like to do it for a school project. Also, does this last forever, or will it eventually stop? If this does not work, does anyone know of anything similar that would last for a long time (like at least as a year? I am trying to make a fun interactive science exhibit for kids aged 2-12 and I though this would be cool. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
look on you tube.
I can not find the one you are looking for, but this one is close
" Iodine Clock/Vitamin C Reaction " ,
but basically it's iodine reactions to chemicals

Last edited:
wsomma said:
I remember seeing a liquid that changes color when you shake it and then changes back to it's original color when it settles. Does anyone know what reaction this is? I would like to do it for a school project. Also, does this last forever, or will it eventually stop? If this does not work, does anyone know of anything similar that would last for a long time (like at least as a year? I am trying to make a fun interactive science exhibit for kids aged 2-12 and I though this would be cool. Thanks!
The "blue bottle" demonstration is intriguing, appearing to be water that turns blue when shaken, but after 2 or 3 days I've found the "water" becomes increasingly yellowish. I'd say it's not suited for long term use.

wsomma said:
I am trying to make a fun interactive science exhibit for kids aged 2-12 and I though this would be cool. Thanks!
I suggest that you start a new thread asking for suggestions. Might get some ideas that you can adopt or adapt. Are you wanting chemistry in particular, or any general science demo?

There have in the past been science fair threads, see whether there is anything useful there.

What is a liquid that changes color back and forth?

A liquid that changes color back and forth is a type of substance that undergoes a reversible chemical reaction, resulting in a color change. This means that the liquid can change from one color to another and then back again.

What causes a liquid to change color back and forth?

The color change in a liquid is caused by a reversible chemical reaction where the molecules of the substance are rearranged, resulting in a change in their light-absorbing properties. This change in light absorption leads to a change in color.

How does a liquid that changes color back and forth work?

A liquid that changes color back and forth works through a process called a reversible chemical reaction. This means that the reaction can go back and forth between the reactants and products, resulting in a color change.

What are some examples of liquids that change color back and forth?

There are many examples of liquids that change color back and forth, including pH indicators, thermochromic substances, and photochromic materials. Examples of these include litmus paper, mood rings, and color-changing ink.

What are the practical applications of a liquid that changes color back and forth?

A liquid that changes color back and forth can be used in a variety of practical applications, such as in medical testing, environmental monitoring, and quality control. They can also be used in toys, novelty items, and art projects.