Does anyone know of a thermally-stable endothermic reaction?

In summary, Nidum is trying to build a device that can be submerged in a fire and uses the fire to drive an endothermic reaction. He is looking for a highly-endothermic reaction where the reactants and products will be stable at very high temperatures (well over 800C), or at least not release toxic by-products. He does not seem to have a chemistry background, and is asking for help. Unfortunately, given his limited knowledge, we do not think he is getting the best support on the forum.
alphacat25
Hello all,
I've used physicsforums a few times over the years, but I believe this is my first post. I'm working on an engineering project in which I need to find a highly-endothermic reaction where the reactants and products will be stable at very high temperatures (well over 800C), or at least not release toxic by-products. These chemicals may eventually be placed in a fire to gather some data. Does anyone know of any such reactions? Or at least where I can look to find possible candidates? Possible types of reactions could include liquids dissolving, or mixtures between different compounds. I don't have much of a chemistry background so I'd appreciate any help!
Thank you all in advance!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Could you please explain more clearly what you are actually trying to do ?

Hello Nidum, unfortunately I don't think I can go into too much detail for intellectual property reasons, but essentially I am trying to build a device that can be submerged in a fire and uses the fire to drive an endothermic reaction.
I have looked into a refrigerant, for example R134a - if this is heated to the vaporization temperature, would it cause a cooling effect inside the device?

alphacat25 said:
for example R134a -
alphacat25 said:
(well over 800C)
alphacat25 said:
not release toxic by-products.
Sorry, you will NOT find any organic compounds that are stable at that temperature.

Bystander said:
Sorry, you will NOT find any organic compounds that are stable at that temperature.
Hello Bystander, what do you mean by stable? Perhaps I'm using incorrect terminology - what I meant was something that, even if it reacted, wouldn't produce harmful by-products.

alphacat25 said:
Hello Nidum, unfortunately I don't think I can go into too much detail for intellectual property reasons, but essentially I am trying to build a device that can be submerged in a fire and uses the fire to drive an endothermic reaction.
I have looked into a refrigerant, for example R134a - if this is heated to the vaporization temperature, would it cause a cooling effect inside the device?
Put an ice cube in the device. The melting absorbs energy from the fire.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

All things considered, we see posts just like yours that are supposedly doing something unique. PF is here to help with established, clear scientific problems they need some guidance with.

Two points:
If this is such a special secret, have you done a patent search? Your knowledge of Chemistry seems limited. It looks like you are trying to create some kind of fire extinguisher. In any event, given the above statements, PF does not support these kinds of endeavors, and most especially by folks with limited experience.
We think live, fully functioning participants on the forum are the best choice. Thread closed.

Likes Nidum and berkeman

1. What is a thermally-stable endothermic reaction?

A thermally-stable endothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that absorbs heat from its surroundings, causing a decrease in temperature, while remaining stable at high temperatures.

2. How is a thermally-stable endothermic reaction different from a regular endothermic reaction?

A regular endothermic reaction also absorbs heat from its surroundings, but it is not stable at high temperatures and may decompose or become unstable.

3. Can you give an example of a thermally-stable endothermic reaction?

One example of a thermally-stable endothermic reaction is the decomposition of ammonium nitrate, which is used in cold packs to provide a cooling effect.

4. What factors affect the thermal stability of endothermic reactions?

The thermal stability of endothermic reactions can be affected by factors such as the reactants used, the concentration and temperature of the reactants, and the presence of catalysts or inhibitors.

5. How are thermally-stable endothermic reactions used in industrial processes?

Thermally-stable endothermic reactions are often used in industrial processes, such as in the production of chemicals, to control and maintain temperatures within a desired range. They can also be used in heat absorption systems for air conditioning or refrigeration purposes.