Charge and potential differnecr in a mixed circuit

In summary, a potential difference of 100 V is applied across a capacitor arrangement with capacitances of 11.0 µF, 7.00 µF, and 3.00 µF. The circuit is set up in a mixed series and parallel configuration, with C1 and C2 in series on one branch and C3 in parallel with C1 and C2. Using the equation (1/c1 + 1/c2) = q/v, the charge on each capacitor is found to be 23.4 microCoulombs. To solve for the charge on C3, it is suggested to find the equivalent capacitance of all three capacitors and then work backwards to determine the charge split between the two branches
Laxman2974

Homework Statement

a potential difference V = 100 V is applied across a capacitor arrangement with capacitances C1 = 11.0 µF, C2 = 7.00 µF, and C3 = 3.00 µF. Find the following values Charge on each capacitor, potential difference on each capacitor, and stored energy in Joules.

The circuit is set up with battery and then a mixed series and parallel. C1 and C2 are in a series on a branch and C3 is on a separate branch in parallel with both C1 and C2.

Homework Equations

In a series I find charge with (1/c1 + 1/c2) = q/v looking for q. I plugged in (1/11 + 1/7) = q/100. SOlved and got a charge of 23.4 microCoulombs each on C1 and C2.

So now I am stuck I thought I solved the series first and then used that combine capacitance to find the charge on C3. Help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest finding the equivalent capacitance of all of them before applying voltage.

As I read your problem you have C1 and C2 in series with each other but taken together in parallel with C3. With the value of the effective capacitance you can calculate total stored charge in the system. Then maybe work backwards splitting the charge between the two branches could give you some insight?

I would like to clarify that potential difference and charge are two different concepts in a circuit. Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points in a circuit. On the other hand, charge is the amount of electric charge stored in a capacitor.

To find the charge on each capacitor, we can use the equation Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the potential difference. Plugging in the values given in the problem, we can find the charge on each capacitor:

Q1 = (11.0 µF)(100 V) = 1100 µC
Q2 = (7.00 µF)(100 V) = 700 µC
Q3 = (3.00 µF)(100 V) = 300 µC

To find the potential difference on each capacitor, we can rearrange the equation to V = Q/C. Using the values we calculated for Q, we get:

V1 = 1100 µC/11.0 µF = 100 V
V2 = 700 µC/7.00 µF = 100 V
V3 = 300 µC/3.00 µF = 100 V

Since the circuit is set up in a mixed series and parallel configuration, the total capacitance of the circuit can be found by calculating the equivalent capacitance using the equations for series and parallel capacitors. The equivalent capacitance for C1 and C2 in series is 4.4 µF, and when this is added in parallel with C3, the total equivalent capacitance is 7.4 µF.

To find the stored energy in the circuit, we can use the equation W = 1/2CV^2, where W is the stored energy, C is the equivalent capacitance, and V is the potential difference. Plugging in the values, we get:

W = 1/2(7.4 µF)(100 V)^2 = 3700 µJ or 3.7 mJ

I hope this helps clarify the concepts of potential difference and charge in a circuit, and how they are related to capacitance. It is important to note that the charge on each capacitor is not affected by the configuration of the circuit, but the potential difference and stored energy can change depending on the arrangement of the capac

1. How do charges and potentials differ in a mixed circuit?

In a mixed circuit, charges and potentials differ in terms of their distribution and magnitude. Charges are particles that carry either a positive or negative charge, and they flow through the circuit in response to the potential difference. Potentials, on the other hand, refer to the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in the circuit. They are measured in volts and are responsible for driving the flow of charges through the circuit.

2. What is the role of charge in a mixed circuit?

The role of charge in a mixed circuit is to carry and transfer electrical energy. When a potential difference is applied to a circuit, charges will flow from the positively charged side to the negatively charged side. This flow of charges is what allows for the transfer of electrical energy and the functioning of the circuit.

3. How is potential difference calculated in a mixed circuit?

Potential difference in a mixed circuit is calculated by taking the difference between the electrical potentials at two points in the circuit. This can be done by using the formula V = IR, where V is the potential difference, I is the current flowing through the circuit, and R is the resistance of the circuit. Alternatively, potential difference can also be calculated using the formula V = W/Q, where W is the work done in moving a charge Q from one point to another.

4. What factors affect the charge and potential difference in a mixed circuit?

The charge and potential difference in a mixed circuit can be affected by several factors, including the type and amount of charge carriers present, the resistance of the circuit, and the potential difference applied. Other factors such as temperature, material properties, and circuit configuration can also influence the behavior of charges and potentials in a mixed circuit.

5. How can the charge and potential difference in a mixed circuit be controlled?

The charge and potential difference in a mixed circuit can be controlled by using various components such as resistors, capacitors, and switches. These components can be used to manipulate the flow of charges and the potential difference within the circuit, allowing for the desired behavior and functioning of the circuit to be achieved. Additionally, the type and amount of charge carriers present in the circuit can also be controlled through the use of different materials or by adjusting the temperature of the circuit.