Vibration Texts: Best Books for Undergrads

• Thread starter skaboy607
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vibration
In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a good text on vibration, specifically for an undergraduate in their second year. The university recommends Mechanical Vibrations by S.S Rao, but it has received negative reviews. Other suggested options include anything by Timoshenko, CSTongue's Principles of Vibration, The Practical Vibration Primer by Charles Jackson, and Hartog's Mechanical Vibrations. The option of finding the book for free online is also mentioned.
skaboy607
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a text for Vibration. My university recommends Mechanical Vibrations by S.S Rao but it has received bad reviews. I am an undergraduate in my second year and prefer the sound of a book that makes this less complicated...?

Thanks

Will

Engineering news on Phys.org
skaboy607 said:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a text for Vibration. My university recommends Mechanical Vibrations by S.S Rao but it has received bad reviews. I am an undergraduate in my second year and prefer the sound of a book that makes this less complicated...?

Thanks

Will

Anything by Timoshenko is great.

CS

Tongue's Principles of Vibration is extremely straightforward. It's unlike any other vibrations text I've ever read; at one point, it came shrinkwrapped with a spring that you could attach to a coffee cup (or any weight) to do simple experiments on your own. I used it sophomore year in mechanical engineering.

EDIT: Good Lord, it's only $5 used on Amazon! You can't beat that.

The Practical Vibration Primer by Charles Jackson, is as the name implies, a primer with much immediately useful information and a good supplement to a ME course.

I used Rao as an undergrad. I wasn't very helpful.

Try "Mechanical Vibrations" - Hartog (1985)

It's a very old book, but the explanations about the fundamentals are the best I've read.

It's available for around $12 on amazon, and it's free here:

http://www.archive.org/details/mechanicalvibrat031556mbp

Last edited by a moderator:

What are "Vibration Texts" and why are they important for undergrads?

"Vibration Texts" are books that focus on the study of vibrations, which are movements or oscillations of objects or systems. They are important for undergrads because vibrations are a fundamental aspect of many fields of science and engineering, including physics, mechanical engineering, and civil engineering.

What topics are typically covered in "Vibration Texts" for undergrads?

Typically, "Vibration Texts" cover topics such as simple harmonic motion, resonance, damping, and forced vibrations. They may also include applications of vibrations in real-world systems, such as bridges, buildings, and musical instruments.

What skills can undergrads gain from studying "Vibration Texts"?

Studying "Vibration Texts" can help undergrads develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a deeper understanding of the principles of vibrations. They can also gain practical skills, such as analyzing and designing systems to minimize unwanted vibrations.

Are "Vibration Texts" suitable for self-study or do they require a teacher's guidance?

"Vibration Texts" can be suitable for self-study, but having a teacher's guidance can be helpful in understanding difficult concepts and solving problems. Some texts also come with online resources or practice problems to aid in self-study.

What are some recommended "Vibration Texts" for undergrads?

Some recommended "Vibration Texts" for undergrads include "Mechanical Vibrations" by Singiresu S. Rao, "Vibrations" by Balakumar Balachandran and Edward B. Magrab, and "Fundamentals of Vibrations" by Leonard Meirovitch. However, the best text may vary depending on the individual's learning style and specific interests.