Building My Physics Intuition: Seeking Good Simulations

In summary, the individual is seeking good simulations to help build their intuition while teaching themselves classical mechanics. They have been using a textbook from 1971 and have a decent grasp of the core concepts, but feel that simulations could enhance their understanding. They are aware of some open source physics simulations and are looking for recommendations for others relevant to an introductory, university-level waves course. They also suggest watching past MIT intro courses and provide links to YouTube videos and a website with physics demonstrations.
normalmode25
TL;DR Summary: Seeking good simulations to build my intuition

Hi everyone,

I am currently teaching myself classical mechanics, and am 3/4 of the way through "Vibrations and Waves," a textbook from 1971 which was used in the MIT course.

It's going okay - I feel like I have a decent grasp of the core concepts, and I've been doing a decent number of the problems, so that helps. I feel like I can get a good understanding of university level physics even though I am not studying it formally.

One thing, however, that I do believe I am missing out on through my informal study is simulations. I know that University of Colorado produces a few good free ones. Can anyone recommend other good simulations which are relevant for an introductory, university-level waves course?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try the open source physics simulations in Compadre. You must be able to run Java.

1. What is the importance of building physics intuition?

Building physics intuition is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems. It allows scientists to make educated guesses and hypotheses, which can then be tested through experiments or simulations. Without a strong intuition for physics, it can be difficult to make sense of complex phenomena and make accurate predictions.

2. How can simulations help in building physics intuition?

Simulations are computer programs that model physical systems and their behavior. By running simulations, scientists can observe how different variables and factors affect the system and its outcomes. This allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and mechanisms at work, which in turn helps to build intuition for how the system behaves.

3. What makes a good simulation for building physics intuition?

A good simulation should accurately represent the real-world system being studied. This means that it should take into account all relevant variables and factors, and use accurate and precise mathematical models. It should also be user-friendly and allow for easy manipulation of variables to observe their effects on the system.

4. How can one improve their physics intuition through simulations?

To improve your physics intuition through simulations, it is important to actively engage with the simulation and ask questions. Try changing different variables and observing their effects, and then think about why those effects occur. It can also be helpful to compare the simulation results to real-world data and observations to further strengthen your intuition.

5. Are there any limitations to building physics intuition through simulations?

While simulations can be a powerful tool for building physics intuition, they do have some limitations. Simulations are only as accurate as the models and data used to create them, so if these are flawed, the simulation results may not accurately reflect reality. Additionally, simulations may not be able to capture all of the complexities and nuances of a real-world system, so they should be used in conjunction with other methods of study.