Coulomb's Law in free space

In summary: This seems to be a different question to "what does this law mean?", which I could answer with "it describes the electrostatic force between two charges q1 and q2 separated by a distance r, the magnitude is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them, and the force is either repulsive or attractive.. etc". In summary, this law gives us information on the electrostatic force between two charges.
Sigma Rho
What information does this law give us?

This seems to be a different question to "what does this law mean?", which I could answer with "it describes the electrostatic force between two charges q1 and q2 separated by a distance r, the magnitude is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them, and the force is either repulsive or attractive.. etc"

Does that answer the question, or is there some information that can be gotten from Coulomb's Law?

I'm pretty confused with this one!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sigma Rho said:

This seems to be a different question to "what does this law mean?", which I could answer with "it describes the electrostatic force...
You just answered your own question. Whenever you describe something, you provide information.

You can sort of wave your hands and say that, since it is an inverse square law, the interaction is mediated by isotropic emission of some particle. How? Because, as you get further away, the likelyhood of one of these particles colliding with a charge drops off as the square of the distance (which is justifiable with geometry, i.e., pre-physical).

Sigma Rho said:
"it describes the electrostatic force between two charges q1 and q2 separated by a distance r, the magnitude is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them, and the force is either repulsive or attractive.. etc"

A comment on semantics:
In this context, the word "between" can be troublesome to some students, for example, when asked to draw the force.
A better phrase is the "electrostatic force on one charge due to the other".

I could be off base here, but I see Coulomb's law as nothing more than a concequence of Gauss's law, so you should really be asking about that. The only problem with asking about the whys and hows of Gauss's law is it really isn't necessary, since its so obvious; akin to trying to extract information out of 1+1=2. You add a single thing with a single thing, and get two single things. An electric field diverges only from a place where charge exists. Same thing. It's tautological.

What is Coulomb's Law in free space?

Coulomb's Law in free space is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles in a vacuum or free space. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the formula for Coulomb's Law in free space?

The formula for Coulomb's Law in free space is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r2, where F is the force between two point charges, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

What is the unit of measurement for charge in Coulomb's Law in free space?

The unit of measurement for charge in Coulomb's Law in free space is Coulomb (C). It is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI) and is defined as the amount of charge that passes through a point in a conductor in one second when a current of one ampere is flowing through it.

What is the significance of Coulomb's constant in Coulomb's Law in free space?

Coulomb's constant (k) is a proportionality constant in Coulomb's Law in free space. It is a fundamental constant in physics that determines the strength of the electrostatic force between two charged particles. Its value is approximately 8.99 x 109 N * m2 / C2.

How does Coulomb's Law in free space relate to other laws in physics?

Coulomb's Law in free space is closely related to other fundamental laws in physics, such as Newton's Laws of Motion and the Law of Universal Gravitation. It also has applications in other fields of science, such as chemistry and engineering, and is essential in understanding the behavior of electrically charged particles and systems.