Drastically cutting down the amount of sleep one needs?

In summary, people can drastically cut down on their sleep by exercising and by following a sleep schedule that is nine hours long.
phenylalanine
Does anyone know any ways af drastically cutting down the amount of sleep one needs?

Biology news on Phys.org
Exercises. At first you might not see the difference and sleep might be longer but after a couple of weeks you body get used to it and you sleep will start to fall a sleep faster and wake up more nergized.

Other than exercises, is there another alternative? I'm just such a lazy bum, and I go out only 4 times a week for 30-minute brisk walks. Is this enough?

There's a great article on this in Wired (it's within an article that talks all about biology how-to improvements). I'll try to locate it, because I'm sure I kept it since it was so fascinating. Exercise was definitely one of the things that it mentioned, but there were a whole bunch of other suggestions.

I found multiple articles within Wired that may interest readers of this thread (or people simply browsing, since I just noticed that this post is archaic), and they can also be accessed online (in part).

Davis, Joshua. "The Perfect Human." Wired: 1-2. 8 Feb. 2009 <http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.01/ultraman.html>.

See also, "How To Build a Better Body" in the same issue.

Scientific journals also have better (and often more controversial) information on this topic, but most of those can't be accessed online (as I've discovered the hard way).

Last edited by a moderator:

Why do you want to drastically cut down on your sleep?

What is so important to you that you would risk your physical and mental health?

...Wasn't my idea, I was just trying to answer the question. ;-)

from what i have read, if you can pull it off you want to sleep from 10:00pm to 6:00am. from 10:00pm to 2:00am is the physical repair cycle and from 2:00am to 6:00 is the psychological repair cycle. getting to bed by 10 can be tough, i know! if you find it hard like i did the two most common reasons are caffeine after 3:00pm and watching TV or using a computer once the sun has gone down. tv and computer light is interpreted basically the same way as sunlight, so your body thinks its still daytime and can continue to release cortisol (think of it as a natural stimulant) instead of melatonin which helps calm you down for the night. exercise, hardcore learning or anything that causes increased neural drive will spend energy. so if you just sit around watching tv all day your body will be fooled into thinking there is no reason to sleep, however you always need sleep. this modern mind set of 'ill sleep when I am dead' is ridiculous, i say to those people 'you will be dead if you don't sleep' as you will surely limit your life span if you sleep less than 8 hours a day. look into lucid dreaming, then you can do ANYTHING you want while you are asleep. i can time travel, play instruments i have never learned how to play and use any super power that i want :)

Last edited:

jacksonpeeble said:
...Wasn't my idea, I was just trying to answer the question. ;-)
:confused: Why would you think I was addressing you rather than the OP?

1. How does drastically cutting down the amount of sleep affect the body?

Drastically cutting down the amount of sleep one needs can have a significant impact on the body. It can lead to fatigue, impaired cognitive function, mood changes, and an increased risk of health problems such as diabetes, obesity, and heart disease.

2. Is it possible for someone to function normally with less sleep?

While some individuals may claim to function normally with less sleep, it is not recommended or healthy for the majority of people. The body needs an adequate amount of sleep to properly repair and restore itself, and consistently getting less sleep than needed can have negative consequences.

3. Can drastically cutting down sleep improve productivity?

No, drastically cutting down sleep does not improve productivity. In fact, it can have the opposite effect as it impairs cognitive function and decreases alertness, leading to decreased productivity and efficiency.

4. How can someone determine the amount of sleep they need?

The amount of sleep an individual needs can vary, but on average, adults need 7-9 hours of sleep per night. However, everyone is different and the best way to determine the amount of sleep you need is to pay attention to your body's natural sleep patterns and how you feel during the day. If you consistently feel well-rested and alert, you may be getting enough sleep.

5. Are there any long-term effects of drastically cutting down sleep?

Yes, there can be long-term effects of drastically cutting down sleep. Chronic sleep deprivation can lead to serious health problems, such as an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. It can also affect mental health, leading to mood disorders and cognitive decline.