Is My Internal Combustion Engine Efficiency Too Low? A Table Analysis

In summary, an internal combustion engine is a type of engine that uses controlled explosions of fuel to power a vehicle or machine. It works by using a fuel-air mixture to create a controlled explosion inside a cylinder, which creates rotational motion. There are two main types of internal combustion engines: spark ignition engines and compression ignition engines. They have several advantages, including high power-to-weight ratio, fuel efficiency, and versatility in fuel usage. However, they also emit pollutants that contribute to air pollution and climate change. Advancements in technology have led to the development of cleaner and more efficient engines.
MMCS
i am calculating the properties of an internal combustion engine, however, for efficiency i am getting a value of 0.2%.This seems too low to be correct. please see attached table of values and point out any figures that seem incorrect

thanks

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 460
Physics news on Phys.org
What are your units of time, fuel flow rate and engine specific fuel consumption?

Time: Seconds
Fuel Flow Rate: kg/s
SFC: kg/kW/h

In calculating engine efficiency, did you multiply by 100 to convert a decimal to a percentage?

Likes 1 person
No i didn't, its always the obvious, Thanks SteamKing.

Related to Is My Internal Combustion Engine Efficiency Too Low? A Table Analysis

1. What is an internal combustion engine?

An internal combustion engine is a type of engine that uses controlled explosions of fuel to power a vehicle or machine. The explosions occur inside a cylinder, which drives a piston and creates motion.

2. How does an internal combustion engine work?

An internal combustion engine works by using a mixture of air and fuel, known as the fuel-air mixture, to create a controlled explosion inside a cylinder. The explosion pushes a piston, which turns a crankshaft and creates rotational motion.

3. What are the different types of internal combustion engines?

There are two main types of internal combustion engines: spark ignition engines and compression ignition engines. Spark ignition engines use a spark plug to ignite the fuel-air mixture, while compression ignition engines use high pressure and temperature to ignite the mixture without a spark plug.

4. What are the advantages of an internal combustion engine?

Internal combustion engines have several advantages, including high power-to-weight ratio, fuel efficiency, and the ability to run on a variety of fuels. They are also relatively inexpensive to produce and can be used in a range of applications, from cars to generators.

5. What are the environmental impacts of internal combustion engines?

Internal combustion engines emit pollutants such as carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter, which contribute to air pollution and climate change. However, advancements in technology have led to the development of cleaner and more efficient engines, reducing their environmental impact.