Solving Superposition Theorem for I(R1)

In summary, the person is struggling to find the correct current for I(R1) in a circuit. They have calculated I'(R1) and I''(R1) but when combined they do not match the given answer. They are asking for help to see if their reasoning is correct.
frostchaos123

Homework Statement

Hi all

I have been struggling to find the right ans for the I(R1) in this circuit.

First i consider only the voltage source by opening the current source. As such i find that I'(R1) = (4-0.7)/1K = 3.3mA

Secondly i consider the current source by shorting the voltage source. Thus i derive I''(R1) = 3mA

Finally i get I(R1) = I'(R1) + I''(R1) = 3.3m + 3m = 6.3mA

However the ans seems to indicate as only 3.3mA.

Please help to see if my reasoning is correct.

Thanks.
[PLAIN]http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8508/circuit.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've neglected the 20-ohm resistor completely. Try recalculating everything taking it into account.

When you shorted the voltage source, I think you assumed you could combine the two voltage sources together like you did in the first part of the calculation, but you cant. Try calculating the current through R1 just one source at a time - the current source, V1, then V2.

1. What is the Superposition Theorem?

The Superposition Theorem is a principle in electrical engineering that states that the voltage across a component in a circuit can be determined by adding the individual voltages from each source in the circuit, while keeping all other sources turned off.

2. How do I solve for I(R1) using the Superposition Theorem?

To solve for I(R1) using the Superposition Theorem, follow these steps:1. Identify all sources and components in the circuit.2. Turn off all sources except for the one that contains I(R1).3. Calculate the current through I(R1) using Ohm's Law.4. Repeat for each individual source in the circuit.5. Add all individual currents to find the total current through I(R1).

3. What is the purpose of using the Superposition Theorem?

The Superposition Theorem is used to simplify complex circuits by breaking them down into simpler, individual parts. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of currents and voltages in the circuit.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Superposition Theorem?

Yes, the Superposition Theorem is only applicable to linear circuits, meaning that the components in the circuit must follow Ohm's Law (V=IR). Additionally, it can only be used for DC circuits, not AC circuits.

5. Can the Superposition Theorem be used for circuits with multiple sources?

Yes, the Superposition Theorem can be used for circuits with multiple sources. However, it can become more complex and time-consuming to calculate the individual currents and add them together. In these cases, other circuit analysis techniques may be more efficient.