Is my method of solving this correct? Superposition theorem

In summary, Kirchoff's law states that the current flowing through a voltage source is in the same direction as the arrow drawn next to the voltage source.
arhzz
Homework Statement
Solve for the current Ik
Relevant Equations
Superposition theorem
Hello! Consider this circuit
hhhh.png

Now I want to calculate the current Ik. The values are given as follows;

Uq1 = 12 V
Uq2 = 18V
R1 = R2 = 8 Ohm
R3 = R4 = 20 Ohm

My approach was using the Superposition theorem. First I deactived Uq2 and left Uq1 active.

Now if I am not mistaken the resistors R2 R3 and R4 should be short circuited since the current will go through the 0 Ohm wire. That would mean that the current can simply be calculated

$$ I_k' = \frac{U_{q1}}{R1} $$ that should be ##I_k' = 1,5A ##

Now if we deactivate Uq1 and leave Uq2 only R2 should remain,the rest should be short circuited.

$$ I_k'' = \frac{U_{q2}}{R2} $$ that should be ##I_k'' = 2,5 A ##

Now we can simply add these two together but I think that the direction of ## I_k'' ## is opposite of Ik since drawn in the picture,since the current is flowing in the opposite direciton of where the arrow at Uq2 is pointing,that will mean that they will colide so it should be -2,5A

That gives us ## I_k = 1,5 - 2,5 = 1,5 A ##

Now I am not sure if the way I solved it was correct.Are my assumptions that the resistors are short circuited correct?
If not how could I solve this otherwise?

Many thanks!

EDIT: I just realized that I input the wrong value for Uq2; its not 18V but rather 20V.

Also the value for ##I_k ## is also wrong it should be ## I_k = -1A ##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct, but verify your calculation of the value for ##I_k''## .

Likes arhzz
Kirchhoff’s law would verify your method.

Okay I've made a few errors I need to clear up; I edited my post(1st one) I input the wrong value for Uq2 and also 1,5-2,5 is -1 not 1,5.

For clarification, which Kirchofff's law are you implying? The one for currents one for voltages?

We need the both to explain your method.

What is the significance of the arrows on your voltage sources?
1638033507916.png

I assume they indicate polarity, but I am unfamiliar with this notation. Which terminals of the sources have the higher potential?

lewando said:
What is the significance of the arrows on your voltage sources?
View attachment 293203
I assume they indicate polarity, but I am unfamiliar with this notation. Which terminals of the sources have the higher potential?
I assumed they were current sources because of those arrows. Clearly they are voltage sources by the values. That notation means the positive side is at the pointy end of the arrow. I HATE that style, but it is out there.

DaveE said:
That notation means the positive side is at the pointy end of the arrow.
If that is the case, then I question the direction of ##I_k'## result.

That style is common in the country I live in.Basically it means that the current flowing out of that voltage source is going in the opposite direction of where the arrow is pointing.That would mean that in #I_k'## scenario the current would flow in the same direction as Ik is drawn in the circuit.Should be positive right?

Also what does both mean? I've never heard that word before

I am trying to find an independent reference for this symbol convention--in which countr(y/ies) is this symbol common? Also can you respond to the following question?
lewando said:
Which terminals of the sources have the higher potential?

"Both" is a way of emphasizing or referring to a union of two things. As in "both A and B". It can seem superfluous sometimes. In this case:
anuttarasammyak said:
We need the both to explain your method.
They mean simply "both" or "the both of them". Possibly a typo for "them both".

Likes anuttarasammyak
arhzz said:
it means that the current flowing out of that voltage source is going in the opposite direction of where the arrow is pointing.
What confuses me with this convention is how one would know which way the current is flowing through a voltage source unless one figures it out by actual circuit analysis. It is especially not obvious in multi-source circuits. Out of pure curiousity, what symbolic convention do you use for a current source?

Likes DaveE
While at school I was introduced to several conventions for source representations. This "arrow beside a circle" was one such. The arrow is meant to represent the direction of increasing electric potential, and is not necessarily indicative of the direction of current flow.

1638067563033.png

We've all seen cases where in a given circuit the current is made to flow into the "positive" terminal of a voltage source due to influence of other sources. In fact, this is how (appropriate types of) batteries are recharged.

Please find attached the sketch for the investigation.
211128.jpg

[tex]-U_{q1}+R_1I_1+0I_k=0[/tex]
[tex]-U_{q2}+R_2I_2-0I_k=0[/tex]
[tex]I_1-I_2=I_k[/tex]
with upward direction positive for ##I_k## .

Last edited:
arhzz said:
That style is common in the country I live in.Basically it means that the current flowing out of that voltage source is going in the opposite direction of where the arrow is pointing.That would mean that in #I_k'## scenario the current would flow in the same direction as Ik is drawn in the circuit.Should be positive right?

Also what does both mean? I've never heard that word before
There was quite a discussion about the arrow meaning here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/mesh-analysis/msg1106528/#msg1106528

Likes DaveE
The more you look into this, the better you'll understand why I HATE this convention. Arrows for current, and +/- for voltage works pretty well. Anything else and your likely to have to explain it to someone (like me). Also, thanks to Ben Franklin, the current arrow points in the direction the electrons do not go, everyone agrees with that convention.

Also, I retract my previous vote. I'm now convinced that there is no standard for polarity of voltage sources labeled only with arrows. I can pretend to know the answer, but if enough people disagree, then I think there is no standard. You'll just have to ask.

Well I hope everything is cleared up.I've asked my professor since I really was not sure and he says that all of my steps were legit.

As for what countries is that symbol common? Austria (where I live) and I think in Germany as well as Switzerland (so German speaking countries mainly)

What symbol we use for a current source? If its DC this one;

tttt.png

If its Ac than the straight line across the circle is wavy.

Thanks for the help as always!

1. How do I know if I am using the correct method to solve a problem using superposition theorem?

The best way to ensure that you are using the correct method is to carefully read and understand the problem statement. Superposition theorem is typically used to solve problems involving linear circuits, so make sure that your problem falls into this category. Additionally, double check your calculations and make sure that you are applying the theorem correctly.

2. Can superposition theorem be used to solve any type of problem?

No, superposition theorem can only be used to solve problems involving linear circuits. It cannot be applied to non-linear circuits or other types of problems.

3. What are the limitations of using superposition theorem to solve a problem?

One major limitation of superposition theorem is that it can only be applied to problems with independent sources. If your problem involves dependent sources, you will need to use a different method to solve it. Additionally, superposition theorem can only be used to solve problems with linear components.

4. How can I check my answer after using superposition theorem to solve a problem?

The best way to check your answer is to solve the problem using a different method. If your answers match, then you can be confident that you have used superposition theorem correctly. You can also use simulation software to verify your results.

5. Are there any tips for using superposition theorem to solve a problem?

Some tips for using superposition theorem include carefully labeling and tracking your calculations, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, and double checking your work. It can also be helpful to have a clear understanding of the theorem and its applications before attempting to use it to solve a problem.