Which EE Specialization is In Demand and Rewarding?

In summary: Let us know if you want more specific info on Canadian schools. In summary, computer engineering is a standard degree at many Canadian universities, but it is not as popular as some other EE specialties.
newEE
In your opinion what are the top specializations of EE that are in demand. What is the hardest to get into and yet most rewarding? I've taken some introductory courses in the following subjects and done pretty well. Right now I see myself going into Analog but I am so interested in RF. Is RF very demanding in the job market?

Analog, Digital, RF, Solid-State, Signals, Communications, Control Systems, Computer Engineering topics...

Engineering news on Phys.org
RF is heating up, and would be a good choice. The first six specialties in your list all look good...

Analog has its advantages, in that digital is becoming so incredibly popular that good analog folks can be hard to find.

For example, we've yet to make the power supply obsolete, and it is still largely analog (yet morphing towards more digital each year). There aren't an incredibly large number of young power supply designers.

berkeman said:
RF is heating up, and would be a good choice. The first six specialties in your list all look good...

so you're saying "computer engineering" isn't that hot?

ravenprp said:
so you're saying "computer engineering" isn't that hot?

Correctomundo. IMHO, Computer Engineering is a term used by the 2-year tech colleges. It could be different at your school, but that's not a standard degree at the colleges that I'm familiar with (I could be wrong, of course).

Computer Engineering is a standard Degree Program in many Canadian Universities.

See the below links for some examples.
http://www.engineering.uAlberta.ca/ece/
http://www.engineering.uwaterloo.ca/departments.html

Also Power Engineering is always in demand in Alberta.

Last edited by a moderator:
ummm... ECE (electrical and computer engineering) it is pretty standard 4-year degree. The difference from EE is that emphasis is on architecture and VLSI, at least for undergrads, there's also a grad degree here in CompE.
As far as hot topics go, nano-stuff is very much in vogue at Purdue, well... that would not be "pure" EE application though :redface:

There are tons of universities that offer BS in Comp Engg!

1. What are the most in-demand EE specializations?

The most in-demand EE specializations currently include artificial intelligence, Internet of Things (IoT), renewable energy, robotics, and data science. These fields are rapidly growing and offer a wide range of job opportunities.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a career in an in-demand EE specialization?

Pursuing a career in an in-demand EE specialization can lead to higher job security, competitive salaries, and opportunities for career advancement. These fields also offer the chance to work on cutting-edge technologies and contribute to solving real-world problems.

3. How can I determine which EE specialization is right for me?

The best way to determine which EE specialization is right for you is to research your interests and skills, network with professionals in the field, and gain experience through internships or hands-on projects. It may also be helpful to consult a career counselor or take career assessments.

4. What industries are currently hiring professionals with EE specializations?

Industries that are currently hiring professionals with EE specializations include technology, healthcare, automotive, renewable energy, and telecommunications. These industries are constantly evolving and require skilled EE professionals to keep up with advancements.

5. Will pursuing an in-demand EE specialization lead to a rewarding career?

Pursuing an in-demand EE specialization can lead to a rewarding career in terms of job satisfaction, financial stability, and opportunities for personal and professional growth. With the increasing demand for technology and innovation, these fields offer a promising future for individuals who are passionate about engineering and making a positive impact.