What subjects to focus on as an EE interested in Aerospace?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a career in the aerospace industry, specifically in the field of avionics. They inquire about relevant topics to focus on, including control systems, communication electronics, RF systems, and embedded systems. They also ask if studying courses in other departments, such as physics, computer science, and math, would benefit their goals. The responder suggests that any of the mentioned topics would allow the speaker to work in the aerospace industry, but it ultimately depends on their desired career path. They also mention that control is a significant aspect of aerospace and that pursuing a Master's in Electrical Engineering (MSEE) might be a more efficient route for strengthening their skills. The conversation ends with a suggestion for a
24karatbear
Hello,

I am currently pursuing my BS in EE. I am interested in avionics and would like to eventually work in the aerospace industry. What sort of topics should I focus on?

I did an initial search on the forums and people have noted that these subjects are relevant:
- Control Systems
- Communication Electronics
- RF Systems/RF in Wireless Communications
- Embedded Systems

Is there anything else I should consider studying? Some other (perhaps relevant?) courses my school offers: digital signal processing, signal analysis and communications, EM radiation and antenna analysis.

On a related note, would it benefit me at all to take courses in other departments (e.g., physics, CS, math) on the side? I'm mostly asking because I am interested in taking on a minor, and would love to know if there are any other areas of study that would fit well with my current academic goals. If it helps, I would eventually like to earn my Master's in either EE or Aerospace.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aerospace industries vary depending on your nation. In the US, the Air Force and NASA dominate the field, and most jobs are either with NASA or DoD or their contractors. This gives rise to many peculiarities that may not exist in other countries.

In the US, I would say that GPA, school reputation, research, and internship experience will count for more in landing a job than details of the courses you take. These jobs are very competitive.

Dr. Courtney said:
Aerospace industries vary depending on your nation. In the US, the Air Force and NASA dominate the field, and most jobs are either with NASA or DoD or their contractors. This gives rise to many peculiarities that may not exist in other countries.

In the US, I would say that GPA, school reputation, research, and internship experience will count for more in landing a job than details of the courses you take. These jobs are very competitive.

I'm in the US. And yeah, I know experience trumps college coursework when I'm trying to find a job. I just needed to fill up some extra space in my schedule and wanted to take some relevant classes. Well, thanks for your post anyway.

24karatbear said:
Hello,

I am currently pursuing my BS in EE. I am interested in avionics and would like to eventually work in the aerospace industry. What sort of topics should I focus on?

I did an initial search on the forums and people have noted that these subjects are relevant:
- Control Systems
- Communication Electronics
- RF Systems/RF in Wireless Communications
- Embedded Systems

Is there anything else I should consider studying? Some other (perhaps relevant?) courses my school offers: digital signal processing, signal analysis and communications, EM radiation and antenna analysis.

On a related note, would it benefit me at all to take courses in other departments (e.g., physics, CS, math) on the side? I'm mostly asking because I am interested in taking on a minor, and would love to know if there are any other areas of study that would fit well with my current academic goals. If it helps, I would eventually like to earn my Master's in either EE or Aerospace.

Thank you in advance.
any of those would allow you to work in the aerospace industry. It depends on what you want to do.

If you want to be an airfram desinger (control surfaces, dynamics, etc) then control systems 100%.

if you want to work with the electronics subsystems, and of the other subcategories would work.

if you want to be a systems engineer, any of the above would work.

Control is a pretty big part of aerospace I gather so that's probably a good route to go generally. But as mentioned aerospace is pretty broad and so most areas of engineering find footing there.

donpacino said:
any of those would allow you to work in the aerospace industry. It depends on what you want to do.

If you want to be an airfram desinger (control surfaces, dynamics, etc) then control systems 100%.

if you want to work with the electronics subsystems, and of the other subcategories would work.

if you want to be a systems engineer, any of the above would work.

Thank you! I'm still thinking about what to specialize in, so I decided to throw in a bit of everything so I can figure out what I want to study in grad school. Nonetheless, I found your descriptions very helpful. Appreciate your post!

artfullounger said:
Control is a pretty big part of aerospace I gather so that's probably a good route to go generally. But as mentioned aerospace is pretty broad and so most areas of engineering find footing there.

I have heard this too, which is why I'm trying to include the two EE controls courses my school offers. Thanks a lot for your response!

It was also suggested to me that I pursue an MSEE instead of an MSAE in order to strengthen existing EE skills and save time on "catching up" with prerequisite courses for AE, so I may just try to get into aerospace this way.

24karatbear said:
Thank you! I'm still thinking about what to specialize in, so I decided to throw in a bit of everything so I can figure out what I want to study in grad school. Nonetheless, I found your descriptions very helpful. Appreciate your post!
I have heard this too, which is why I'm trying to include the two EE controls courses my school offers. Thanks a lot for your response!

It was also suggested to me that I pursue an MSEE instead of an MSAE in order to strengthen existing EE skills and save time on "catching up" with prerequisite courses for AE, so I may just try to get into aerospace this way.

I'm not sure if you're in the US or not, but this masters from USC (Uni of Southern California) might be up your alley; it's aerospace controls but from an EE perspective:

http://ee.usc.edu/academics/grad_degree_programs_ms/msee_aerospace.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
clope023 said:
I'm not sure if you're in the US or not, but this masters from USC (Uni of Southern California) might be up your alley; it's aerospace controls but from an EE perspective:

http://ee.usc.edu/academics/grad_degree_programs_ms/msee_aerospace.htm

Hi, thanks so much for the link! Actually, I'm in California and USC is one of the schools I've been looking at. I have been trying to look for other masters programs that offer an aerospace option for EE's, but can't really find any, so USC sounds like my best bet for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
24karatbear said:
Hi, thanks so much for the link! Actually, I'm in California and USC is one of the schools I've been looking at. I have been trying to look for other masters programs that offer an aerospace option for EE's, but can't really find any, so USC sounds like my best bet for sure.
purdue and cornell are good options. They are listed as ME programs, but you can take EE classes and a lot of the ME courses would be seen in EE programs.

1. What specific subjects should an EE interested in Aerospace focus on?

As an EE interested in Aerospace, there are a few key subjects that you should focus on to prepare for a career in this field. These include electrical engineering fundamentals, control systems, digital electronics, and signal processing. Additionally, courses in aerodynamics, mechanics, and materials science can also be beneficial in understanding the principles and challenges of aerospace engineering.

2. How important is a strong foundation in mathematics for an EE interested in Aerospace?

A strong foundation in mathematics is crucial for an EE interested in Aerospace. Many aspects of aerospace engineering, such as designing aircraft structures and control systems, rely heavily on mathematical principles. Courses in calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra are particularly important for understanding and solving complex engineering problems in this field.

3. Are there any specific programming languages or software that an EE interested in Aerospace should learn?

Yes, there are several programming languages and software that are commonly used in the aerospace industry. These include MATLAB, Simulink, and LabVIEW for simulation and modeling, and C++ or Python for control systems and data analysis. It is also beneficial to have a basic understanding of CAD software, such as AutoCAD or SolidWorks, for designing and analyzing aircraft components.

4. What role do communication skills play for an EE interested in Aerospace?

Communication skills are essential for any engineer, and this is especially true for those in the aerospace industry. As an EE working in this field, you will likely collaborate with engineers from different disciplines and communicate with clients or stakeholders. Therefore, it is important to have strong written and verbal communication skills to effectively convey technical information and collaborate with others.

5. Are there any specialized courses or certifications that can help an EE interested in Aerospace stand out?

There are several specialized courses and certifications that can help an EE interested in Aerospace stand out in the job market. These include courses in avionics, remote sensing, and satellite communication. Additionally, obtaining certification in a relevant field, such as the Certified Aerospace Technician (CAT) or Certified Aerospace Engineer (CAE) certification, can demonstrate your knowledge and expertise in the field.