Academic Advice from Aerospace Professionals

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a career in the Aerospace Industry and is considering majoring in Electrical Engineering (EE) due to their interest in mathematics and building things. They have taken a few courses in English, Geography, Computer Science, and Mathematics, but have not had the opportunity to take physics yet. They are also considering pursuing a Master's in Science in Physics or Aerospace Engineering after obtaining their EE degree. However, they are concerned about their age (25) and lack of employment history and experience. Experts in the discussion advise them to consider staying in EE as there are many job opportunities in the aerospace industry for EE graduates. They also suggest gaining lower level qualifications and starting at a lower level job in the industry to work
april-slawson
I want a career in the Aerospace Industry. My original major was Physics, and after my first year of a three-year community college degree, I have learned much more about what different degree's lead to what jobs. I am a solid A student, English, Geography, Computer Science, and Mathematics are subjects I have taken so far. I want to stay in my current city due to family obligations, and the University here offers EE and ME.

I think that I want to major in EE, even though that will take me six years in all to graduate. It seems it will be the most stimulating and rewarding for my interests. I like to work hard, I like to build things, and I enjoy mathematics. I haven't had the opportunity to take physics in college yet. I am 25 years old, I took seven years off to work minimum wage jobs, and spent the last three semesters catching up to where incoming Freshman start at since my high school only offered up to Pre-calc.

1. Will I be able to pursue a career in the Aerospace Industry with a Bachelor's In Electrical Engineering?

2. (Opinions) Would it be beneficial to pursue a Masters in Science in Physics after earning an EE? Can I pursue a Masters in Aerospace Engineering after obtaining an EE?

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-should-i-become-an-engineer-thread.15898/page-54

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are a great number of subjects in Aeronautical Engineering that would not be in the normal EE curriculum, so switching to aero for a masters would require a lot of catching up. There are a lot of jobs for EE in aerospace because of the large amount of avionics in modern planes. So you might want to consider staying with EE if you go on for a masters. My recommendation is to decide if you are more interested in the EE subjects or Aero subjects and go into that as soon as practical. The longer you wait the harder it will be to switch.

Likes april-slawson
working in the aerospace industry with an EE degree is not hard to do, 1/3 of the engineers I know in aerospace are EE's...

Likes april-slawson and FactChecker
Sorry but a reality check is needed here .

The chances of you getting a graduate entry job in the aerospace industry when you eventually complete your degree are not very good .

At 30 + with no employment history , no experience and commonplace qualifications you might even have difficulty finding any job at all .

Best bet as things stand is for you to get some lower level qualifications quickly and then take a technician level or even a low skill level job in the industry and work up your qualifications and job status from there .

Last edited:
The aerospace industry is notoriously cyclical. There are times when it will be very hard to get a job and other times when it will be relatively easy.

Likes april-slawson
Nidum said:
Sorry but a reality check is needed here.

The chances of you getting a graduate entry job in the aerospace industry when you eventually complete your degree are not very good.

At 30 + with no employment history, no experience, and commonplace qualifications you might even have difficulty finding any job at all.

Best bet as things stand is for you to get some lower level qualifications quickly and then take a technician level or even a low skill level job in the industry and work up your qualifications and job status from there.

You mentioned "lower level qualifications," can you expand on what would fall under that for me?
Thank you for your reply and practical advice

1. What is the importance of academic advice from aerospace professionals?

Academic advice from aerospace professionals is important because it provides valuable insights and perspectives on the industry and current trends. It can also help students make informed decisions about their academic and career paths.

2. How can students benefit from receiving academic advice from aerospace professionals?

Students can benefit from receiving academic advice from aerospace professionals by gaining a better understanding of the industry, networking opportunities, and valuable tips and advice on how to succeed in the field.

3. Who can provide academic advice from aerospace professionals?

Aerospace professionals can include engineers, researchers, professors, and other experts in the field. They can be found through industry events, university programs, or through networking.

4. Is academic advice from aerospace professionals limited to specific fields of study?

No, academic advice from aerospace professionals can be beneficial to students in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, computer science, and business. Aerospace professionals can offer valuable insights and advice to students in any related field.

5. How can students access academic advice from aerospace professionals?

Students can access academic advice from aerospace professionals through industry events, university programs, networking, and online resources. Some universities may also have mentoring or advising programs specifically for students interested in aerospace.