Beginning an engineering degree 2

In summary, if you are starting an engineering degree in the fall and want to review high school science courses, trigonometry and math are the most important topics to focus on. Physics and chemistry may also be helpful, particularly for materials science. However, it is not necessary to spend your entire summer studying, as your professors will teach you everything you need to know and beginning courses will review previous material. Focus on understanding the math and let your professors teach you its applications.
synergix
I will be beginning my engineering degree in the fall and I am wondering what specific areas of my high school science courses should I review. What will be the most important topics anyways I won't be blowing off my summer to study but I would feel much more comfortable if I reviewed the important stuff before I begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the search function, there are many threads on this topic. When I become not lazy I'll post some here.

Ya I kinda figured there would be thanks

Trigonometric review is almost certain for you.

Id say everything in engineering is either trigonometric or something else, 50 % trigonometric.

All of math. Then physics and chemistry for materials science.

Is math the most important subject to master?

The more math you know, and the more understanding you have of it, the easier it will be.

I say learn the math then just let your professors teach you their applications.

I'm a mechanical engineering senior, started school after a 6 year break in education. Some trig and calculus should do you fine. However, with that said, you really shouldn't stress it, you will be taught everything you need to know, and the beginning of every course holds your hand through the material/gives review of previous information.

1. What is the difference between an engineering degree and other science degrees?

An engineering degree focuses on applying scientific principles to design, develop, and maintain structures, machines, devices, and systems. It involves a combination of theoretical and practical coursework, with an emphasis on problem-solving and design thinking. Other science degrees may have a more specific focus, such as biology or chemistry, and may not include as much hands-on application.

2. What are the common specializations within an engineering degree?

Some common specializations within an engineering degree include civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer engineering. There are also more specialized fields, such as biomedical engineering, aerospace engineering, and environmental engineering.

3. How long does it typically take to complete an engineering degree?

An engineering degree typically takes four years to complete, but it can vary depending on the program and any internships or co-op experiences included. Some students may also choose to pursue a master's degree, which can add an additional 1-2 years of coursework.

4. What skills are necessary to succeed in an engineering degree?

Strong problem-solving skills, critical thinking, attention to detail, and a strong foundation in math and science are essential for success in an engineering degree. Other important skills include communication, teamwork, and adaptability.

5. What career opportunities are available with an engineering degree?

An engineering degree can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including roles in research and development, design, construction, manufacturing, consulting, and more. Graduates may work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy, healthcare, and telecommunications. Many engineers also pursue advanced degrees or certifications to further specialize in their field.