Current, direction of flow and potential difference in a circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to calculate the current in each resistor and the potential difference between two points in a circuit. The solution provided correctly determines the currents and potential difference, emphasizing the importance of using the correct signs and considering the total resistance.
coz

Homework Statement

The question is 'Calculate the current in each of the three resistors in the circuit in Figure 4 and indicate the direction of current flow. What is the potential difference between A and B?'

View attachment Qu 4.pdf

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's first and second laws, Ohm's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I assigned arbitary directions to the circuit and using Kirchhoff's first and second laws I have worked out the current in each of the three resistors to be:

i1 = 0.4A
i2 = -0.2A
i3 = 0.2A

I then decided that the current i2 flows in the opposite direction to what I have marked, as it is negative.

To work out the potential difference between A and B can I just use Ohm's law

V = iR
V = 0.2A x 10 [tex]\Omega[/tex]
V = 2, so the potential difference between A and B is 2?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for posting your solution! It looks like you have correctly used Kirchhoff's laws to determine the currents in each resistor. However, I would like to point out that the negative sign for i2 indicates that the current is actually flowing in the opposite direction that you have marked. So, the correct values for the currents are:

i1 = 0.4A
i2 = 0.2A
i3 = 0.2A

To find the potential difference between A and B, you can indeed use Ohm's law. However, you will need to use the total resistance of the circuit, which can be found by using Kirchhoff's laws. Once you have the total resistance, you can use Ohm's law to find the potential difference between A and B. Your calculation would look like this:

R = R1 + R2 + R3
R = 5Ω + 10Ω + 10Ω
R = 25Ω

V = iR
V = 0.2A x 25Ω
V = 5V

So, the potential difference between A and B is 5V.

Great job on your solution! It's important to remember to use the correct signs when working with Kirchhoff's laws and to consider the total resistance when using Ohm's law. Keep up the good work!

1. What is current and how is it measured?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) using a device called an ammeter.

2. How is the direction of flow determined in a circuit?

The direction of flow in a circuit is determined by the direction of the electric field. Electrons flow from the negative terminal of a battery to the positive terminal, creating a current in the opposite direction.

3. What is potential difference and how is it measured?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the measure of the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) using a device called a voltmeter.

4. How are current and potential difference related?

Current and potential difference are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the potential difference increases, the current also increases and vice versa.

5. What is Ohm's law and how does it relate to current and potential difference?

Ohm's law states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the potential difference across it, as long as the temperature and other physical factors remain constant. In mathematical terms, this can be expressed as I = V/R, where I is current, V is potential difference, and R is resistance.