Which Kurt Vonnegut books to read next? Or should I read Catch 22 instead?

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation revolves around the recommendation of a book to read next. The individual has read and enjoyed various books by Kurt Vonnegut and is now looking for another book by him or possibly Catch 22. They discuss their previous experiences with Catch 22 and their opinions on Vonnegut's writing style. Some recommend Sirens of Titan as their favorite Vonnegut book, while others suggest trying out Don Quixote. Ultimately, it is suggested that the individual should give Catch 22 another chance as it may be a good fit for them.
wasteofo2
I just finished reading Timequake, by Kurt Vonnegut, and I liked it alot. I've also read Slaughterhouse-Five and God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian and loved both of those as well. So, I'm looking to either read another Vonnegut book, or read Catch 22, your suggestions?

Three years ago, I tried to read Catch 22, after a friend reccomended it, but it was just too confusing to me. It seemed the author had spent all his energy making the story as complex as possible, as intricate as possible, as subtly ironic as possible, all in an effort to make the book very hard to read. I concluded that the author was a snobby prick who just wrote this intentionally difficult book so him and other intelectual snobs could look down at their noses at people who didn't get it. Three years ago, this book was like abstract art to me - I didn't get it and didn't care to get it.

But that was three years ago, and with Kurt Vonnegut reccomending it towards the end of Timequake, I figured maybe I'll give Catch 22 another chance. Perhaps I'm closer to being an intellectual snob now than I was three years ago, but it just seems that it'd be appropriate for me to read that book considering the huge acclaim it's gotten.

Ok, so I've bored you enough, the question is: Could you reccomend me a good Kurt Vonnegut book I haven't read, or would you reccomend I read Catch 22 instead for a change of pace?

Physics news on Phys.org
I love Kurt Vonnegut, but it's been a while since I've read his books. Hmm...maybe I should dig them out and re-read them on the flight to my sister's place for Christmas...

I liked all his books, so anything is a good next one. I've never read Catch-22, so don't know if it's really good or not.

But, I do understand growing into an "intellectual snob" or whatever you want to call it. There were a lot of books that I just hadn't "grown into" yet when I was forced to read them for high school classes (I think they assumed we knew more about the world than we did...or at least than I did...I remember reading "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" back in Jr. High. I just didn't "get" it. I was just too much of an innocent. Everyone was laughing about the chapter where the kids in the story find the balloons in a box with a horse on it, or something like that, and I just didn't know what was so funny...at the time, I didn't even know what a condom was let alone that the big brand name is Trojan, and they have horses on the box.) In my freshman year at college, I had to read Margaret Atwood's Surfacing. Apparently, it's all about a woman having an abortion. Again, I just didn't "get" it. At the time, yes, I knew what an abortion was, but it wasn't really foremost in my mind to make the connection. I totally missed the entire point of the book. Of course, with that author, I had no desire to go back and re-read later either (a little too feminist for my taste). But, with a great many other books, I found that going back and re-reading them as a more mature, and worldly adult (I really was sheltered as a child), they are very enjoyable.

If you already own the book, go back and read it. If you get through a few chapters and find it's just as bad as you remember it, nobody is forcing you to finish it. If you find yourself engrossed in it and can't put it down, great for you!

Sirens of Titan!
My all-time fave!

K.Vonnegut is cool guy but his books are just impossible to read.
If you want to read good book try Don Quixote(best book in the world) or simmilar stuff.

tumor said:
I'd tend to disagree with you, as I've read two of his books already...

breakfast of champions.

i love that book so much, because he writes how i think.

tumor said:

Impossible? I didn't think so. I thought they were actually nice quick reads and quite fun. That's one thing I really liked about them. If you only have a day to relax and read, you could finish the book in a day. Nice for a weekend off or a day at the beach.

Gotta say I didn't like Catch-22. I didn't even bother finishing it. Very funny and fast-paced writing, but I was already on page 100, and there hadn't been any story development at all. If you don't get the plot moving faster, I won't read it.

I'm not a big fan of Vonnegut - his stuff is just too out there. Catch-22, on the other hand, is a great book.

russ_watters said:
I'm not a big fan of Vonnegut - his stuff is just too out there. Catch-22, on the other hand, is a great book.

LOL! His stuff definitely is out there; that's why I like his books, it's a complete break from reality. I wouldn't classify it as great literature, but something fun for when you don't want to think too hard.

Just to add...with this diversity of opinion on Catch-22 here, I think I'm going to have to get a copy and find out for myself! :biggrin:

Since you've read a bunch of Vonnegut, and not yet read Catch-22, I'd definitely recommend the latter for a next read.

The lack of plot didn't bother me at all. I found the book a more than worthwhile experience...my thumb is up.

1. Which Kurt Vonnegut books are considered must-reads?

While opinions may vary, some of the most commonly recommended Kurt Vonnegut books include "Slaughterhouse-Five," "Cat's Cradle," "Breakfast of Champions," and "Mother Night."

2. I've read all of Vonnegut's popular books, what lesser-known titles do you recommend?

Some lesser-known but highly praised Vonnegut books include "Bluebeard," "Player Piano," "Galapagos," and "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater."

3. Is "Catch 22" a good substitute for Vonnegut's work?

While both authors are known for their satirical and dark humor, "Catch 22" and Vonnegut's work have different styles and themes. If you enjoy one, you may also enjoy the other, but they are not interchangeable.

4. Are there any Kurt Vonnegut books that are considered difficult to read?

Vonnegut's writing can be complex and thought-provoking, but many readers find his books to be an enjoyable and engaging read. "Slaughterhouse-Five" and "Cat's Cradle" are often considered his most accessible works.

5. What is the best order to read Kurt Vonnegut's books in?

There is no specific order in which to read Vonnegut's books, as each one stands on its own. However, some readers suggest starting with his earlier works and progressing chronologically to see his evolution as a writer.