Centrafugal pump coeficients question

• Thread starter woops
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pump
In summary, the experiment showed that the head coefficient and flow rate coefficient of a centrifugal pump are dependent on pump speed. This is likely due to increased turbulence and potential cavitation at higher pump speeds, leading to higher head loss and a lower flow coefficient.
woops
Hi everyone. I am having a slight issue with part of a question regarding an experiment that i had to do as part of my course. Basically we were calculating the coeficients and characteristics of a basic centrafugal pump. We used the pump to pump water round a simple system and recorded the values for input power, flow rate and discharge pressure while varying the apiture of a valve to control flow rate but kept the pump speed constant. We took 8 different readings each at a different valve setting and then repeated the experiment 3 times each with a different pump speed.

From the results we calculated the head coefficient and flow rate coefficient and plotted them against each other for each of the 4 speeds. It was found that the head coefficient against flow rate coefficient was dependant on pump speed and decreased with increasing pump speed. We were then asked to explain why this has happened as opposed to them being independent of pump speed as should be the case. The only explanation i can think of is that at higher pump speeds there is a higher pressure in the system which causes an increase in head loss due to friction on the pipe walls hence a reduction in the flow rate which results in a lower than expected value for flow coefficient at higher pump speeds.

Im not sure if I am on the correct lines and simply can’t think of what else could account for these experimental findings. I really need some help with this as i have been going round in circles for hours now and simply don’t know what else to do. Please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
.One possible explanation is that the increased pump speed causes an increase in turbulence, which can lead to higher head loss due to friction. This means that more energy is lost when the fluid passes through the pipe, leading to a lower flow coefficient at higher pump speeds. Another factor that could be influencing the results is cavitation. When the pump speed increases, the pressure in the system drops below vapour pressure, leading to the formation of vapour bubbles. These bubbles can create additional turbulence and reduce the efficiency of the pump, resulting in a reduced flow coefficient.

What is a centrifugal pump coefficient?

A centrifugal pump coefficient is a numerical value that represents the relationship between the pump's performance and the fluid being pumped. It is used to predict the pump's efficiency and determine the amount of power needed to operate the pump.

How are centrifugal pump coefficients calculated?

Centrifugal pump coefficients are calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the pump's design, operating conditions, and fluid properties. These calculations are typically done by pump manufacturers or engineers using specialized software programs.

What factors affect centrifugal pump coefficients?

The main factors that affect centrifugal pump coefficients include the pump's impeller design, the speed of the pump, the viscosity of the fluid being pumped, and the size and shape of the pump's volute or casing. Other factors such as the fluid's temperature and specific gravity can also have an impact.

Why are centrifugal pump coefficients important?

Centrifugal pump coefficients are important because they allow engineers to predict the pump's performance and make informed decisions about its operation. By knowing the coefficients, engineers can optimize the pump's efficiency, reduce energy consumption, and improve the overall reliability of the pumping system.

How do centrifugal pump coefficients affect pump selection?

Centrifugal pump coefficients play a crucial role in pump selection as they help determine the most suitable pump for a specific application. By comparing the coefficients of different pumps, engineers can choose the most efficient and cost-effective option for their specific needs.