Magnetization and magnetic susceptibility

In summary, when expressing magnetization and magnetic susceptibility in terms of N, μ, magnetic-field Bo, T, and constants, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of each equation and consult with other sources and experts in the field before deciding which one to use.
smantics
For magnetization which can be written as [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] = μ(o) ([itex]\vec{H}[/itex] + [itex]\vec{M}[/itex]) , how would it be expressed as a function of N (number density N atoms per unit volume), μ , magnetic-field Bo, T, and some constants (Boltzman's constant, Curie constant)? I have found similar set ups from different sources, but I am unsure which I should use. What I have come up with so far is (some of these are equivalent to others):

B/t = ( [itex]\frac{K(b)}{μ}[/itex]) tanh-1([itex]\frac{M(z)}{N*μ}[/itex])

M = μ tanh ( [itex]\frac{μ*B(effective)}{K(b) * T}[/itex] )

M(z) ≈ [itex]\frac{N*μ^2*B}{K(b)*T}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{n*μ(b)^2 * H}{K(b) * T}[/itex]

M = N * μ * L([itex]\frac{μ * H}{K * T}[/itex] )

Then to find the low-field magnetic susceptibility which is [itex]\vec{M}[/itex] = xm * [itex]\vec{H}[/itex] should I use:

xm = [itex]\frac{N*μ^2*B(o)*H}{K(b)*T}[/itex]

xm = [itex]\frac{μ(o)}{V}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{∂M}{∂H}[/itex]

xm = [itex]\frac{N}{V}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{μ(o)*μ(b)^2}{K(b)*T}[/itex]

xm = [itex]\frac{C}{T}[/itex]

xm = μ(o)*μ(b)^2*g(E(f))

I feel like the 3rd equation for the Magnetization would be the correct one to use, and the 1st equation for the magnetic susceptibility would be the correct one to use.

Physics news on Phys.org

It looks like you have done some good research and have come up with several possible equations for expressing magnetization and magnetic susceptibility in terms of N, μ, magnetic field Bo, T, and constants. However, it is important to note that the exact equations to use may depend on the specific system you are studying and the assumptions you are making.

For example, the first equation you have listed for magnetization assumes a homogeneous magnetic field and uses the hyperbolic tangent function to account for the non-linear behavior of the magnetization. This may be a good choice for certain systems, but may not accurately reflect the behavior of others.

Similarly, the equations for magnetic susceptibility also make different assumptions and may be more or less appropriate depending on the system you are studying. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of each equation before deciding which one to use.

Additionally, it is always a good idea to consult with other sources and experts in the field to ensure that your equations are accurate and appropriate for your specific research.

1. What is magnetization?

Magnetization is the process by which a material becomes magnetized, or acquires a magnetic field. This can happen through the alignment of the material's atomic or molecular dipoles.

2. How is magnetization measured?

Magnetization can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which detects the magnetic field strength and direction of a material. The unit of measurement for magnetization is the ampere per meter (A/m) or the tesla (T).

3. What is magnetic susceptibility?

Magnetic susceptibility is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized. It is defined as the ratio of the material's magnetization to the applied magnetic field strength. Materials with a higher magnetic susceptibility are more easily magnetized.

4. How does temperature affect magnetization?

Temperature can affect magnetization in two ways. First, as temperature increases, some materials may lose their magnetization or become demagnetized. Second, for some materials, the magnetic susceptibility may change with temperature, causing the material to become more or less magnetized.

5. What factors can affect magnetic susceptibility?

The magnetic susceptibility of a material can be influenced by factors such as temperature, magnetic field strength, and the material's composition and structure. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects can also affect the magnetic susceptibility of a material.