Pull Force vs Tension: Toy Car on Pulley

In summary, the force causing the car to accelerate when released is a combination of tension and gravity. Although the word 'pull' can be used to describe the force exerted by the string on the car, 'tension' is a more accurate term for what is happening inside the string. Assuming ideal conditions, the strength of the tension and pull will be equal.
yyttr2
You have a toy car on a table and a single pulley on the end. You tie a string to the car, and the other end to some 20 gram weights next put the string on the single pulley.
The force causing the car to accelerate when you let it go is it Fp or Ft
(pull force or tension)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the force of gravity causes the car to move. but the force will be in the form of tension since that is the only things connecting your weight to the car.

Reason I asked, because someone told me it was a pull force (because the rope is pulling on the car) when I thought it was tension...thanks

yyttr2 said:
You have a toy car on a table and a single pulley on the end. You tie a string to the car, and the other end to some 20 gram weights next put the string on the single pulley.
The force causing the car to accelerate when you let it go is it Fp or Ft
(pull force or tension)

yyttr2 said:
Reason I asked, because someone told me it was a pull force (because the rope is pulling on the car) when I thought it was tension...thanks

It seems to me your question is about language rather than physics.

- I would use the word 'tension' to refer to what is happening inside the string. Along the length the fibers of the string are under tension.
- I would use the word 'pull' to refer to the force that the string exerts upon the car. Gravity pulls on the string, the string pulls on the car.
But that's just my personal preference in how I would use those words.

Assuming the string and the pulley can be thought of as frictionless and massless, the tension and the pull will be equal in strength.

Cleonis

Related to Pull Force vs Tension: Toy Car on Pulley

1. What is the difference between pull force and tension when it comes to a toy car on a pulley?

Pull force is the amount of force applied to the toy car to make it move, while tension is the force exerted by the rope or string that is pulling the toy car on the pulley. Pull force is the input force, while tension is the output force.

2. How does the angle of the pulley affect the pull force and tension in a toy car?

The angle of the pulley affects the direction of the pull force and tension. A smaller angle will result in a larger pull force and tension, while a larger angle will result in a smaller pull force and tension. This is because a smaller angle means the force is acting more directly on the toy car, while a larger angle means the force is being spread out over a larger surface area.

3. Does the weight of the toy car affect the pull force and tension on a pulley?

Yes, the weight of the toy car will affect the pull force and tension on a pulley. A heavier car will require a larger pull force to move it, which will also result in a larger tension on the rope or string. On the other hand, a lighter toy car will require a smaller pull force and result in a smaller tension on the rope or string.

4. How does friction play a role in the pull force and tension of a toy car on a pulley?

Friction can affect the pull force and tension of a toy car on a pulley by making it more difficult to move the car. Friction is the force that opposes motion, so if there is a lot of friction between the pulley and the rope or string, more force will be needed to overcome this resistance and move the car. This will result in a larger pull force and tension.

5. Can the size of the pulley affect the pull force and tension of a toy car?

Yes, the size of the pulley can affect the pull force and tension on a toy car. A larger pulley will require less force to move the car, resulting in a smaller pull force and tension. This is because the larger pulley allows for a longer length of rope or string to be pulled for each rotation, requiring less force to move the car. Conversely, a smaller pulley will require more force and result in a larger pull force and tension.