Solve Arcsin(1/x)=arctan(x)=>x=?

• Thread starter fredrick08
  • Start date
In summary, the equation arcsin(1/x) = arctan(x) is a conditional equation that is only true for certain values of x. To solve for x, one must use the definitions of arcsin and arctan and the properties of right triangles to find a relationship between x and other terms in the equation. Using identities is not applicable in this case.
fredrick08

Homework Statement

can someone please tell me why arcsin(1/x)=arctan(x)=>x=-[tex]\sqrt{}(-2+\sqrt{}20[/tex])/(-1+[tex]\sqrt{}5[/tex])?

Physics news on Phys.org

do you just derive them, then solve for x, since they eliminate the trig functions?

nope... that doesn't work...

I'm not sure what you mean by "derive them." The equation arcsin(1/x) = arctan(x) is not an identity (an equation that's always true); it is a conditional equation, one that is true only for certain values of x.

Let [itex]\alpha[/itex] = arcsin(1/x), and let [itex]\beta[/itex] = arctan(x). From these equations, you should see that sin([itex]\alpha[/itex]) = 1/x and tan([itex]\beta[/itex] = x.
Now, draw two right triangles, with the legs and hypotenuses labelled according to the last two equations above. Since [itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]\beta[/itex], the two triangles must be similar (but not necessarily congruent), which means that their corresponding sides must be proportional. From this relationship, you can get an equation that involves only terms with x. Solve this equation and you should get the value for x that you showed.

sorry i don't quite understand... sin(a)=1/x so its triangle will have opposite=1 and hypotenuse=x and tan(b)=x so its triangle will have opposite=x and adjacent=1? then from there how do i get a relationship with x's in it??

i tried pythagoras.. all i get is x=x? please someone can explain this to me?

is get x=root(x^2+1)/x please can someone tell me how that simplifies to 1/2*root(2+root(20))?

That was on a different thread (and solved there).

sorry forgot about that one.

You posted the same question in the advanced physics forum where I replied. However this does seem to be more fit for the calculus forum so I'll copy paste my reply here.

If you want to use identities you can take the sin on both sides and then use [itex]\cos^2x+\sin^2x=1,\;1+\tan^2x=\sec^2x[/itex] to simplify the right hand side.

EDIT: Nevermind

Arcsin is injective on the domain [-1,1], where it is the inverse of the sine with domain [-pi/2,pi/2]. However here we don't have arcsin(a)=arcsin(b), but arcsin(a)=arcTAN(b).

Last edited:

1. What is the solution to the equation "Arcsin(1/x)=arctan(x)=>x=?"

The solution to this equation is not a single value, but rather a set of values. It is known as the inverse trigonometric equation and is commonly used in mathematics and physics.

2. How do you solve the equation "Arcsin(1/x)=arctan(x)=>x=?"

The equation can be solved by using algebraic manipulation and applying the properties of inverse trigonometric functions. It involves finding the values of x that make both sides of the equation equal.

3. Can the equation "Arcsin(1/x)=arctan(x)=>x=?" be solved using a calculator?

Yes, most scientific calculators have functions for inverse trigonometric equations such as arcsine and arctangent. By entering the equation and using the "solve" or "root" function, the calculator can find the solutions for x.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of x in the equation "Arcsin(1/x)=arctan(x)=>x=?"

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x. The value of x cannot be 0, because it would result in dividing by 0, which is undefined. Additionally, the value of x must be in the domain of both arcsine and arctangent, which is between -1 and 1.

5. What is the significance of solving the equation "Arcsin(1/x)=arctan(x)=>x=?"

The equation has various applications in mathematics and physics, such as finding the angle of elevation or depression in trigonometric problems. It is also used in solving differential equations and in the study of complex numbers.