Integration with Respect to x: Integral of sqrt((5-x)/x)

In summary: Not everybody does it this way but I recommend to change the variable so as not to have the constant ##a## within the formula to be integrated, e.g let ##x = 5aX##, a new variable . That way you can get integrands that are more recognisable and reduced to a smaller standard set. (You cannot forget this original ##a##, especially when you also have to change the ##dx## and also at the end of the calculation .)
Vriska

Homework Statement

integration with respect to x

Homework Equations

integral 1/sqrt (a^2 - x^2) = arcsin(x/a)

The Attempt at a Solution

image attached, the arcsine term in 5/2 arcsin((2x-5)/5) it should be 5 arcsine(sqrt(x/5))

Physics news on Phys.org
15147100126042108026402.jpg

Attachments

• 15147100126042108026402.jpg
    15147100126042108026402.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,646
I think the arcsine formula for computing ##\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{(\frac{5}{2})^2-(x-\frac{5}{2})^2}}dx## cannot be applied because for x=0 the denominator goes to 0.

Last edited:
Vriska said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

image attached, the arcsine term in 5/2 arcsin((2x-5)/5) it should be 5 arcsine(sqrt(x/5))

Vriska said:

It would be far better to use Latex in order to be helped because checking through the attached image is somewhat hard.
Now, for the integral, I would hint in the way of substitutions with ##u = \frac{5 - x}{x}## being the most obvious. Have you tried this way?

Vriska said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Your image is an unreadable mess. I cannot tell what you think the final answer should be. Please take the trouble to type out at least your final answer.

Vriska said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

When I plot those two functions in Mathematica, they appear to differ only by a constant, namely ##5\pi/4##.

Likes Delta2
Delta² said:
I think the arcsine formula for computing ##\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{(\frac{5}{2})^2-(x-\frac{5}{2})^2}}dx## cannot be applied because for x=0 the denominator goes to 0.
You have the same issue for
$$\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-x^2} } = \arcsin x + C$$ at ##x=\pm 1##.

vela said:
You have the same issue for
$$\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-x^2} } = \arcsin x + C$$ at ##x=\pm 1##.

Well for some reason I thought the domain of the function should contain 0, but now I understand this is not necessary. Should just state that the result holds for ##x\neq 0##

Last edited:
vela said:
When I plot those two functions in Mathematica, they appear to differ only by a constant, namely ##5\pi/4##.

Yeiks, they look so different though. looks like constants do indeed make a huuuge difference. Thank you though, this was giving me a headache.

QuantumQuest said:
It would be far better to use Latex in order to be helped because checking through the attached image is somewhat hard.
Now, for the integral, I would hint in the way of substitutions with ##u = \frac{5 - x}{x}## being the most obvious. Have you tried this way?

That substitution isn't working for me :/, I'm getting ## du =\frac{5}{x^2} dx## which gives me ## dx= \frac{1}{(u^2+1)^2} ## integral is this times a root u

Vriska said:
That substitution isn't working for me :/, I'm getting ## du =\frac{5}{x^2} dx## which gives me ## dx= \frac{1}{(u^2+1)^2} ## integral is this times a root u
Try the substitution ##u=\sqrt{\frac{5-x}{x}}##

ehild said:
Try the substitution ##u=\sqrt{\frac{5-x}{x}}##

This is u^2 =previous substitution . I'd get integral mentioned in previous reply but instead of multiplied by root u it'd be divided by 2 sqrt(u). any pointers on how i might use this more meaningfully?

Vriska said:
This is u^2 =previous substitution . I'd get integral mentioned in previous reply but instead of multiplied by root u it'd be divided by 2 sqrt(u). any pointers on how i might use this more meaningfully?
What is x if ##u^2=\frac{5-x}{x}## and what is dx? Is there any square root in the integrand?

Vriska said:
Yeiks, they look so different though. looks like constants do indeed make a huuuge difference. Thank you though, this was giving me a headache.

If you have an answer to an integral that you are not sure about, you can always differentiate it to see whether you get back the integrand.

If you have any textbook with a chapter or two on integration, you will find a list related things, practically a family of them, there.
In this family it is quite common to have integrations that work only within certain range of x, a different formula outside it. This can correspond to something physical such as existence of escape velocity or runaway reaction outside the ‘tame’ region.

Not everybody does it this way but I recommend to change the variable so as not to have the constant ##a## within the formula to be integrated, e.g let ##x = 5aX##, a new variable . That way you can get integrands that are more recognisable and reduced to a smaller standard set. (You cannot forget this original ##a##, especially when you also have to change the ##dx## and also at the end of the calculation .)

There are then various ways, but I think what you were doing looks unnecessarily complicated than the simplest approach is just a further change of variable defining a ##y = sin X##

As things like this do not usually come out of the blue, I wonder if this reminds you of anything in that lesson or book?

A general trick is to try to get rid of the square root by making a variable substitution. In the case of [itex]\sqrt{\frac{5-x}{x}}[/itex], if you let [itex]x = 5 cos^2(\theta)[/itex], then this becomes: [itex]\sqrt{\frac{1-cos^2(\theta)}{cos^2(\theta)}} = \frac{sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}[/itex]

Likes vela
Vriska said:
That substitution isn't working for me :/, I'm getting ##du =\frac{5}{x^2}dx## which gives me ##dx= \frac{1}{(u^2+1)^2}## integral is this times a root u

The substitution works but if you find it difficult to follow then try what ehild suggests in post #11. If you find ##dx## and substitute in the original integral for the new variable you'll get a manageable integral.

ehild said:
What is x if ##u^2=\frac{5-x}{x}## and what is dx? Is there any square root in the integrand?
integral is ## - \frac{2u^2du}{(u^2+1)^2} ## where u is what you suggested. This is to be followed by a substitution of u = tan z?

Last edited:
Vriska said:
integral is ## - \frac{2u^2du}{(u^2+1)^2} ## where u is what you suggested. This is to be followed by a substitution of u = tan z?
I used integration by parts . ##f '= \frac{2u}{(u^2+1)^2} ##, g=u.

Last edited:

1. What is integration with respect to x?

Integration with respect to x is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve on a graph or the total accumulation of a function over a specific interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation, which is used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. What is the integral of sqrt((5-x)/x)?

The integral of sqrt((5-x)/x) is an indefinite integral, meaning it does not have specific limits of integration. The result is a function, not a number. The exact form of the integral is (2/3) * (5-x)^(3/2) * (ln(x))^(1/2) + C, where C is an arbitrary constant.

3. What is the process for finding the integral of sqrt((5-x)/x)?

The process for finding the integral of sqrt((5-x)/x) involves using integration techniques such as substitution and integration by parts. The specific steps may vary depending on the form of the integrand, but the end result is the same. It is important to remember to include the constant of integration in the final answer.

4. What is the significance of the square root in the integrand?

The square root in the integrand indicates that the function being integrated is not a polynomial. This means that standard integration techniques for polynomials cannot be used and other methods, such as substitution, must be used to find the integral.

5. Can the integral of sqrt((5-x)/x) be approximated numerically?

Yes, the integral of sqrt((5-x)/x) can be approximated numerically using numerical integration methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods use small intervals to approximate the area under the curve and can give a close approximation to the exact value of the integral.