What is the force on the handle in a statics problem using Excel?

In summary, my instructor has modified the given question to allow the use of excel to find the answer. The question asks for the weight of an object along and perpendicular to an angular plane. The problem is that I am not clear on how to find the force caused by the spring and which equations to use.
Double A
I have a problem in statics that I must use excel to do and my instructor modified the given question in a few ways to allows to use the capabilities of excel to find what the question asks for.

http://herograw.com/5-51.JPG

These are my instructors additions:
The 30 degree angle will be varying from -30 to 30 degrees (0 to 30 degrees is also fine, if you note the symmetry). In order to maintain equilibrium at all those possible angles, we will need to apply a force on the handle. Force on the handle vs. angle is what we are going to graph. The force on the handle is always perpendicular to the handle and is positioned 500mm from point A.

If the whole excel approach sounds confusing then please help in solving the original question. That way I can use that method in solving the question the way my instructor expects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Resolve the weight of the object along and perpendicular to the angular plane, given the angle from the horizontal is theta...

then the along the place component of theta would be M*g*Sin(Theta) which would be your force necessary to hold the body back...

What would be the normal reaction of the place?? (:-)

Anyways, so your curve essentially would be a sin curve...

PS: If you consider the angle to be from the vertical then the equation will change to hace M*g*Cos(theta).. so that's where symmetry comes in...

Cos(a) = Cos(-a) ... happy?

I'm not all that clear about what you said to do.

In class today I was given an extension on this problem.

I also found that the free body diagram that I was using was a little complicated and the only forces acting on the handle is the applied force and the force caused by the spring. I'm a little confused in how to find the force caused by the spring and which [tex]\Sigma F=0[/tex] and [tex]\Sigma M=0[/tex] equations to use.

Last edited:

What is a "Statics Excel Problem"?

A "Statics Excel Problem" is a type of problem in the field of engineering that involves using Excel to analyze and solve statics equations. It typically involves calculating forces, moments, and other variables in a system to determine the equilibrium state.

Why use Excel for statics problems?

Excel is a powerful tool for solving statics problems because it allows for quick and accurate calculations, as well as the ability to easily visualize and manipulate data. It also has built-in functions and tools specifically designed for engineering problems.

What are the key skills needed to solve a "Statics Excel Problem"?

The key skills needed to solve a "Statics Excel Problem" include a strong understanding of statics principles, proficiency in using Excel, and the ability to break down a problem into smaller steps. It is also helpful to have knowledge of basic programming and the ability to troubleshoot errors.

How can I improve my Excel skills for statics problems?

To improve your Excel skills for statics problems, you can practice solving various types of problems, take online courses or tutorials, and familiarize yourself with commonly used functions and formulas. It can also be helpful to work with a mentor or tutor who can provide guidance and feedback.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving "Statics Excel Problems"?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Statics Excel Problems" include incorrect use of formulas, not double-checking calculations, and not clearly labeling and organizing data. It is also important to understand the limitations of Excel and be aware of any potential rounding errors.