How can I solve a simultaneous equation with unknown angles in it?

In summary, the speaker is a first-year engineering student struggling with a simultaneous equation involving two unknown angles. They have attached a photo of the equation and the original physics question. Another person, ehild, points out that the equation is unsolvable because it is missing information. The speaker thanks ehild and asks if they can now solve the problem, but ehild is unable to and offers a suggestion for solving simultaneous equations with unknown angles.
Jordan.Lewis
Hey guys, I am currently studying Engineering, and its only my first year. I am having trouble with one of the simultaneous equations i have made from a physics question. I don't know how to solve this because the uknowns are both angles.

I have attached a photo of the simultaneous equation

Attachments

• IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
This is unsolvable. Show the original Physics question.

ehild

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have attached the original physics question,

the parameters were given to me online, which are

Weight of A= 144N
Weight of B = 229N
weight of C = 202N

Attachments

• IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 387
The right side of your second equation in the previous post is not zero. The vertical components of the tensions in the strings must balance the weight of A.

ehild

Thank you so much Ehild for your help :), i completely missed that.

Can you solve the problem now?

ehild

sadly not, I had high hopes, and gave it a shot. But i still don't know how to solve a simultaneous equation with the uknowns as the angles..

It is always very useful to move the terms with different angles on the different sides of the equation, square both sides, then add up the equations, and replacing sin()2 +cos()2=1

ehild

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of two or more equations with multiple variables that have to be solved together in order to find the values of those variables.

2. Why do we need help with simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations can become complex and difficult to solve, especially when there are more than two variables involved. Help is often needed to understand the process and steps required to solve them correctly.

3. What are the methods used to solve simultaneous equations?

The most commonly used methods to solve simultaneous equations are substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of method depends on the specific equations and variables involved.

4. How can I check if my solution to simultaneous equations is correct?

You can check your solution by substituting the values of the variables into each equation and ensuring that both sides of the equation are equal. Additionally, you can also use a graphing calculator to plot the equations and see if the points of intersection match your solution.

5. Are there any tips for solving simultaneous equations more efficiently?

Yes, some tips for solving simultaneous equations more efficiently include practicing regularly, understanding the properties of equations, and using the most appropriate method for each set of equations. It is also helpful to check your work and use a calculator or software when necessary.