Kernel and centralizer of irreducible characters

• Thread starter syj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kernel
In summary, the author attempted to solve the question of finding the kernel, centralizer, and centres of a given character table, but failed to do so due to a lack of understanding of the notation used. They were able to solve the problem by understanding the conjugacy classes and using the kernel, centralizer, and centres of the corresponding class.
syj

Homework Statement

Find the kernel of all irreducible characters of G, when given the character table.
Find the centralizer of each irreducible character of G, when given the character table.
Find Z(G) (the centralizer of G) for the same character table.

Homework Equations

I know that ker([itex]\chi[/itex])={g [itex]\in[/itex]G| [itex]\chi[/itex](g)=[itex]\chi[/itex](1)} where [itex]\chi \in [/itex] Irr(G).

I also know that Z([itex]\chi[/itex])={g [itex]\in[/itex] G | |[itex]\chi[/itex](g)|=[itex]\chi[/itex](1)}

and I think Z(G) is the intersection of all Z([itex]\chi[/itex])I hope you can the gist of the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

The question I have to answer pertains to a given character table of S4.
I do not want an answer to this particular table.
If someone could please give me an example using another character table so I can follow.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, what did you try already?? If you tell us where you're stuck then we'll know where to help!

Ok
the character table I am given for S4 is as follows.
I am really green at this latex stuff and so I will try to list it as a table as best as I can:

[g] 1A 2A 2B 3A 4A

[itex]\varphi[/itex]1 1 1 1 1 1
[itex]\varphi[/itex]2 1 -1 1 1 -1
[itex]\varphi[/itex]3 2 0 2 -1 0
[itex]\varphi[/itex]4 3 1 -1 0 -1
[itex]\varphi[/itex]5 3 -1 -1 0 1

so i have:
ker([itex]\varphi[/itex]1)={1A,2A,2B,3A,4A}
ker([itex]\varphi[/itex]2)={1A,2B,3A}
ker([itex]\varphi[/itex]3)={1A,2B}
ker([itex]\varphi[/itex]4)={1A}=ker[itex]\varphi[/itex]5

and
Z([itex]\varphi[/itex]1)={1A,2A,2B,3A,4A}
Z([itex]\varphi[/itex]2)={1A,2A,2B,3A,4A}
Z([itex]\varphi[/itex]3)={1A,2B}
Z([itex]\varphi[/itex]4)={1A}=Z([itex]\varphi[/itex]5)

so Z(G)={1A}

i apologise for the horrible table. i could not get the numbers to align. *so embarrassed*

syj said:
Ok
the character table I am given for S4 is as follows.
I am really green at this latex stuff and so I will try to list it as a table as best as I can:

[g] 1A 2A 2B 3A 4A

[itex]\varphi[/itex]1 1 1 1 1 1
[itex]\varphi[/itex]2 1 -1 1 1 -1
[itex]\varphi[/itex]3 2 0 2 -1 0
[itex]\varphi[/itex]4 3 1 -1 0 -1
[itex]\varphi[/itex]5 3 -1 -1 0 1

so i have:
ker([itex]\varphi[/itex]2)={1A,2B,3A}
ker([itex]\varphi[/itex]3)={1A,2B}
ker([itex]\varphi[/itex]4)={1A}=ker[itex]\varphi[/itex]5

and
Z([itex]\varphi[/itex]1)={1A,2A,2B,3A,4A}
Z([itex]\varphi[/itex]2)={1A,2A,2B,3A,4A}
Z([itex]\varphi[/itex]3)={1A,2B}
Z([itex]\varphi[/itex]4)={1A}=Z([itex]\varphi[/itex]5)

so Z(G)={1A}

i apologise for the horrible table. i could not get the numbers to align. *so embarrassed*

Seems correct! However, there is a small notational thingy. The 1A, 2A, 2B, 3A, 4A are conjugacy classes, right? But the kernel, centralizer and centres do not consist out of conjugacy classes, but ouy of elements of G. So instead of saying

you have to say that the kernel is the elements from these classes. In this case [itex]ker(\varphi)=S_4[/itex].

ok,
so if 1A = 1
2A = (1 2)
2B = (1 2)(3 4)
3A = (1 2 3)
4A = (1 2 3 4)

then z([itex]\varphi[/itex]3)={1, 2, 3,4} ?

syj said:
ok,
so if 1A = 1
2A = (1 2)
2B = (1 2)(3 4)
3A = (1 2 3)
4A = (1 2 3 4)

No, that is not true. 2A contains much more elements than that! 2A is an entire conjugacy classs, remember!
The same for the rest.

then z([itex]\varphi[/itex]3)={1, 2, 3,4} ?

I cannot see how you came to that conlusion. z([itex]\varphi[/itex]3) must contain elements of S4...

ok
i think i understand ...
would Z([itex]\varphi[/itex]3)={1, (1 2)(3 4), (1 3)(2 4), (1 4)(2 3)} ?

syj said:
ok
i think i understand ...
would Z([itex]\varphi[/itex]3)={1, (1 2)(3 4), (1 3)(2 4), (1 4)(2 3)} ?

Yes, that is correct!

woooo hooooo !
thanks a mil
im gona tackle the representation of a group question now.
still not sure how to get that proof sorted out.

1. What is the kernel of an irreducible character?

The kernel of an irreducible character is the set of elements in a group that map to the identity element under the character. In other words, it is the set of elements that do not affect the value of the character.

2. How is the kernel related to the centralizer of an irreducible character?

The centralizer of an irreducible character is the subgroup of elements in a group that commute with all elements in the kernel of the character. In other words, it is the set of elements that leave the value of the character unchanged when multiplied on either side.

3. Why is the kernel important in the study of irreducible characters?

The kernel is important because it helps determine the structure of the group. For example, if the kernel is trivial (only containing the identity element), then the character is faithful and the group is isomorphic to its image under the character. If the kernel is not trivial, then the character is not faithful and the group has a nontrivial normal subgroup.

4. How can the kernel and centralizer be used to classify irreducible characters?

The centralizer of an irreducible character can be used to determine whether or not two characters are equivalent, and therefore if they belong to the same equivalence class. This information can then be used to classify the irreducible characters of a group into distinct equivalence classes.

5. Can the kernel and centralizer of an irreducible character be used to construct representations of a group?

Yes, the kernel and centralizer can be used to construct representations of a group by considering the cosets of the centralizer in the group. These cosets can be used to define the action of the group on the irreducible character, thus creating a representation of the group.