Graphene w/ Boron & Nitrogen: Open Band Gap?

• Thread starter hesky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    graphene
In summary, graphene with boron and nitrogen is a hybrid material that combines graphene, boron, and nitrogen atoms. It has an open band gap and unique properties like high electrical and thermal conductivity, making it useful for electronic applications. This material is made through chemical vapor deposition and has potential uses in various fields such as electronics, water purification, and biotechnology. However, challenges in controlling the arrangement of atoms and scaling up production still need to be addressed.
hesky
I had a task from my supervisor, graphene layer has 2 Carbon atoms per unit cell. What will happen if the atoms are replaced by one atom Boron and one atom Nitrogen? Will we found an open band gap?
Would you please inform me any literature concerning it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it will open a gap because it break the space inverse symmetry. You can get help from the famous Haldane Model.

Thank you very much guyingfei. I'll try it

1. What is graphene with boron and nitrogen and why is it important?

Graphene with boron and nitrogen is a hybrid material made of graphene, a one-atom-thick layer of carbon, and boron and nitrogen atoms. It is important because it has an open band gap, which means it can act as a semiconductor, making it useful for electronic applications such as transistors and sensors.

2. How is graphene with boron and nitrogen made?

Graphene with boron and nitrogen can be made through a process called chemical vapor deposition, where gases containing carbon, boron, and nitrogen are heated and allowed to react on a substrate, forming the hybrid material.

3. What are the properties of graphene with boron and nitrogen?

Graphene with boron and nitrogen has unique properties such as high electrical conductivity, high thermal conductivity, and high mechanical strength. It also has an open band gap, making it a promising material for electronic and optoelectronic devices.

4. What are the potential applications of graphene with boron and nitrogen?

The open band gap of graphene with boron and nitrogen makes it suitable for applications in electronic devices such as transistors, sensors, and solar cells. It also has potential uses in water purification, energy storage, and biotechnology.

5. What are the challenges in using graphene with boron and nitrogen?

One of the main challenges in using graphene with boron and nitrogen is the difficulty in controlling the precise arrangement of the boron and nitrogen atoms within the graphene lattice. This can affect the material's properties and performance. Additionally, large scale production of this material is still a challenge, and more research is needed to fully understand and optimize its properties.