Units of Coulomb, trouble understanding the question

In summary, the problem involves two charges, q1 = 4.9 e C and q2 = -3.6 e C, located 105nm apart. The formula used to calculate the force between the two charges is F=kqq/r^2. Upon attempting to solve the problem, the answer was incorrect, leading to the use of an online force calculator which gave the same answer. Further research on the unit e C revealed that it is equivalent to Coulomb-Coulomb and thus the value of q1 needs to be multiplied by 1.6x10^-19. This resolves the issue and the problem is now solved.
JFonseka

Homework Statement

Two charges, q1 = 4.9 e C and q2 = -3.6 e C are located 105nm apart, what is the size of the force between the two charges?

Homework Equations

F=kqq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I did it according to the formula and I got the answer wrong, so I checked it using an online force calculator between charges, and it gave the same answer I initially got. I looked up what e C is, thinking maybe it's indicating something smaller than 1 C, and couldn't really find a graduation for that, what am I doing wrong? Is it meant to be multiplied by 1.6 x 10^-19?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually [itex]q_1 = 4.9 e C[/itex] is somewhat incorrect. [itex]e = 1.6\times10^{-19}C[/itex] is the elementary charge and already contain the unit Coulomb. So it is as if [itex]q_1[/itex] has unit Coulomb-Coulomb.

mathfeel said:
Actually [itex]q_1 = 4.9 e C[/itex] is somewhat incorrect. [itex]e = 1.6\times10^{-19}C[/itex] is the elementary charge and already contain the unit Coulomb. So it is as if [itex]q_1[/itex] has unit Coulomb-Coulomb.

So does this mean that I have to multiply 4.9 by 1.6x10^-19?

Nvm, problem(s) solved.

As a scientist, it is important to always check your work and verify your calculations. It is also important to clarify any confusion or misunderstandings in order to accurately solve the problem.

The unit of Coulomb (C) is a unit of electric charge. The letter "e" in this context most likely refers to the elementary charge, which is equal to 1.6 x 10^-19 C. Therefore, q1 = 4.9 e C would be equivalent to 4.9 x 1.6 x 10^-19 C.

In order to calculate the force between the two charges, you will need to use the value of the elementary charge in your calculations. The correct formula to use is F=kq1q2/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges in Coulombs, and r is the distance between the charges in meters.

Using this formula, the force between the two charges would be:

F = (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2) x (4.9 x 1.6 x 10^-19 C) x (-3.6 x 1.6 x 10^-19 C) / (105 x 10^-9 m)^2

= -2.6 x 10^-16 N

It is possible that the online force calculator you used did not take into account the units of Coulomb, which may have led to a different answer. It is always important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations.

Additionally, it is important to note that the negative sign in the answer indicates that the force is attractive, as the two charges have opposite signs.

In conclusion, the size of the force between the two charges is -2.6 x 10^-16 N. It is important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units in order to accurately solve the problem.

Related to Units of Coulomb, trouble understanding the question

1. What is a unit of Coulomb?

A unit of Coulomb is a unit of electric charge, named after the French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb. It is represented by the symbol "C" and is equal to the amount of charge transported by a current of one ampere in one second.

2. How is a Coulomb measured?

A Coulomb is measured using an instrument called an ammeter, which measures the flow of electric current in amperes. One Coulomb is equivalent to one ampere-second of electric charge.

3. What is the significance of Coulombs in electricity?

Coulombs are significant in electricity because they represent the basic unit of electric charge, which is essential for understanding and calculating various electrical phenomena and equations, such as Ohm's Law and Coulomb's Law.

4. Can Coulombs be negative?

Yes, Coulombs can be negative. This indicates that the charge is a negative charge, meaning it has an excess of electrons compared to the standard charge of one Coulomb. Negative charges are attracted to positive charges, and vice versa.

5. How are Coulombs related to volts and amps?

Coulombs are related to volts and amps through the equation Q=IV, where Q is charge in Coulombs, I is current in amps, and V is voltage in volts. This equation is known as the fundamental equation of electricity and helps to understand the relationship between these units in electrical circuits.