Mastering Integration by Parts: A Calculus 1 Student's Journey

In summary, the student is having trouble with basic math concepts, and is having to work a lot to keep up with the more difficult material in the book. He or she enjoys the book, but finds it helpful to talk with others who are also struggling with math.
beaf123
Hi all. I am having Calculus 1 this year. We are using a book called Thomas Calculus.
I think its a lot of fun, but I have to work very much since there is basic stuff like trigonometry that I know really bad. Since I work so much with math I thought it could be fun and helpful to talk with other math people in here:-)

To the question:

∫ (5x)/(3x^2+5) dx

What I did was this but I think its too complicated:

∫ (1/(3x^2+5)) * 5x

Integration by parts give.

(5x) ln(3x^2+5) - 5 ∫ ln (3x^2+5)dx

Not sure have to calculate the last integral. Not sure about anything here really..

Physics news on Phys.org
compute by substitution:u=3x^2+5

A new question: With u=3x^2+5 the answer is 5/6*log(3*x^2+5), buit using symbolics in MATLAB the answer is 5/6*log(x^2+5/3) and that's using u=x^2+5/3. Why are there different answers?
As 5/6*log(3*x^2+5) = 5/6*log(x^2+5/3)/log(3) <> 5/6*log(x^2+5/3)

bradcito said:
A new question: With u=3x^2+5 the answer is 5/6*log(3*x^2+5), buit using symbolics in MATLAB the answer is 5/6*log(x^2+5/3) and that's using u=x^2+5/3. Why are there different answers?
As 5/6*log(3*x^2+5) = 5/6*log(x^2+5/3)/log(3) <> 5/6*log(x^2+5/3)
The two answers differ only by a constant. Remember the constant of integration?

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{5}{6}\log(3x^2+5)=\frac{5}{6}\log\left(3 \left(x^2+\frac{5}{3}\right)\right)[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{5}{6}\log(3)+\frac{5}{6}\log\left(x^2+\frac{5}{3}\right)[/itex]​

Yes of course. I should have thought of that.
Would you get the same answer using integration by parts?

If the exercise looked like this instead:

∫ (5x)/(3x^2+4x+5) dx

then you have to use integration by parts?

welcome to pf!

hi beaf123! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
beaf123 said:
Would you get the same answer using integration by parts?

integrating by parts, your u would be the whole thing, and your v would be 1 :wink:

(your line starting "(5x) ln(3x^2+5) …" was wrong)
If the exercise looked like this instead:

∫ (5x)/(3x^2+4x+5) dx

then you have to use integration by parts?

no, write the integrand A(6x+4)/(3x2+4x+5) + B/(3x2+4x+5), and do two different substitutions :smile:

Thank you:)

1. What is the formula for integrating (5x)/(3x^2+5) dx?

The formula for integrating (5x)/(3x^2+5) dx is ∫ (5x)/(3x^2+5) dx = (5/6)ln|3x^2+5| + C.

2. How do you solve the integral of (5x)/(3x^2+5) dx?

To solve the integral of (5x)/(3x^2+5) dx, first use the substitution u = 3x^2+5. Then, solve for du/dx and dx to rewrite the integral as ∫ (5/6)du/u. Using the power rule, the integral becomes (5/6)ln|u| + C. Finally, substitute back in the original variable x to get the final solution: (5/6)ln|3x^2+5| + C.

3. What is the purpose of integrating (5x)/(3x^2+5) dx?

The purpose of integrating (5x)/(3x^2+5) dx is to find the area under the curve of the given function. This can be useful in many applications, such as calculating the work done by a variable force or finding the average value of a function.

4. Can you solve the integral of (5x)/(3x^2+5) dx using other methods besides substitution?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve this integral, such as partial fractions or trigonometric substitution. However, substitution is typically the most straightforward and efficient method for this particular integral.

5. Is there a specific range of values for x that can be used to solve the integral of (5x)/(3x^2+5) dx?

Yes, since the natural logarithm function has a non-real output for negative values, the range of values for x that can be used to solve this integral is x > 0. This restriction is important to keep in mind when evaluating the integral and determining the domain of the solution.