Building an efficient coil gun for photography.

In summary, the person has been experimenting with their photography and has built a coil gun using a starter-motor solenoid, a charged capacitor, and an SCR. They have a video demonstrating its effectiveness and are looking for ways to improve its efficiency and power. They are unsure of the calculations involved in making the coil longer and are seeking help from others. However, building coil guns is considered dangerous and the conversation is being closed.
DesmondD
I have been doing various experiments with my photography and recently built a coil gun.
I simply pulled apart a starter-motor solenoid and wrapped the windings around an 8mm tube and fire a short piece of a bolt out of it using a charged 3300uf capacitor and an SCR.
None of this is calculated but it works pretty well.

aDSC_0373_zps532936c3.jpg

aDSC_0385_zpsd5cba1fd.jpg

I have a video shot at 400fps showing how it shoots something I want to photograph.
I use the pre-flash of the camera to trigger the shot and a fraction of a second later I capture the image.
So my real question is how I can make it as efficient and powerful as possible with what I have, besides perhaps making a better winding.
The capacitor is rated at 400 volts and 3300uf though the old flash I am using to charge it only takes it up to 325 volts at full charge.
The electrical burst mustn't last too long or it will pull the projectile back again.
I am using an 800 volt 300 amp SCR to trigger it using an optic sensor used for triggering flash.
I was thinking that perhaps I could make the coil much longer to give a longer pull stroke on the projectile but am unsure of the maths of this like number of windings, thickness of wire etc.
Any help would be appreciated :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unfortunately building coil guns is deemed far too dangerous for the PF.

You should have couched your question in terms of the physical electronic circuit requirements without mention of application to coil guns. You are actually building a magnetic impulse generator.

The trajectory of a bullet or missile, or the reason why guns are designed the way they are, seem to be OK questions.

If you google the subject of your interest you will find plenty of amateur assistance from other sites. Because you have an enquiring mind, your post will now have to be reported as a dangerous activity.

Thread closed. Nice pic, BTW. :smile:

1. How does a coil gun work for photography?

A coil gun uses electromagnetism to accelerate a projectile through a series of coils. These coils are energized in a specific sequence, creating a magnetic field that pulls the projectile forward. This process is repeated rapidly, propelling the projectile forward at high speeds. For photography purposes, the projectile can be a small object such as a bullet or a paintball, which can capture fast-moving objects in a photograph.

2. What materials are needed to build an efficient coil gun for photography?

To build an efficient coil gun for photography, you will need a power source, a capacitor bank, a trigger mechanism, a coil, and a projectile. The power source can be a battery or a power supply, and the capacitor bank is used to store and release energy quickly. The trigger mechanism controls the timing of the coil's energization, and the coil is made up of copper wire. The projectile can be any small object that is compatible with the coil gun's design.

3. How can I ensure the safety of using a coil gun for photography?

Safety is crucial when building and using a coil gun for photography. It is essential to follow all safety precautions and instructions carefully. Always wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling the components of a coil gun. It is also crucial to use the correct power source and to discharge the capacitor bank before handling any of the components. Additionally, it is essential to have a designated shooting area and never aim the coil gun at anyone or anything other than the intended target.

4. Can a coil gun be used for high-speed photography?

Yes, a coil gun can be used for high-speed photography. The speed at which the projectile is accelerated can be adjusted by changing the power input, the number of coils, and the timing sequence. This allows for precise control over the speed of the projectile, making it an ideal tool for capturing fast-moving objects in photographs.

5. Are there any limitations to using a coil gun for photography?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a coil gun for photography. One limitation is the range of the projectile, which is typically only a few meters. Additionally, the size and weight of the projectile can affect its accuracy and speed. It is also essential to consider the power source and the capacitor bank's limitations, as they can affect the coil gun's performance. Overall, careful planning and testing can help overcome these limitations and create an efficient coil gun for photography purposes.