How Do You Calculate the Speed of Transverse Waves in a Vibrating Wooden Bar?

In summary, the speed of transverse waves on a wooden bar can be found by using the formula v = fλ, where λ is equal to the length of the bar for a second harmonic. The frequency can be determined by multiplying the fundamental frequency by the number of antinodes. If the bar has 3 antinodes and 2 nodes, it is in its second harmonic and the velocity can be calculated by multiplying the fundamental frequency by the length of the bar. However, it is important to note that the antinodes and nodes are different for a cosine curve compared to a sine curve.
jmm5872
A wooden bar when struck vibrates as a transverse standing wave with three antinodes and two nodes. The lowest frequency note is 43.6 Hz, produced by a bar 55.4 cm long. Find the speed of transverse waves on the bar.

I assumed that 3 antinodes and 2 nodes means the eigenfrequency f=3/2(v/L). I also assumed that 43.6 Hz was the fundamental frequency. Since I want f3, I multiplied 43.6 by 3 and got 130.8 Hz.

From here I plugged into the first equation 130.8=(3/2)(v/.554) and solved for v.
v=48.3088 m/s.

But this answer was wrong, so I am not sure what I did wrong.

I would appreciate any advice, Thanks,
Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
For a wooden bar with anti-nodes on both sides, the formula for wavelength is:
Wavelength = 2L/n, where L is the length of the bar and n is the harmonics number.

For three antinodes and 2 nodes, the bar is in its second harmonic and so wavelength is:
2L/2 = L

Since Frequency*Wavelength = Velocity,
Velocity = (43.6)(0.554) = 24.15 m/s

**Its been a while since I did this, so i may be wrong.

Thanks, that was correct.

I guess i still don't understant how it is the second harmonic though. I thought the antinodes were the max points, and three max points means 3/2 of a wavelength. For example, two positive maximums, and one negative maximum.

Ah but think about it. Say we're looking at one interval of a cosine curve (0 to 2pi). How many max points are there? How many points cross y = 0? The points that cross y = 0 are like the nodes (when you multiply the cosine curve by -1 they remain invariant) while the antinodes are the points where y = +/- 1. (This results in 3 antinodes and 2 nodes which means 3 antinodes and 2 nodes = 1 wavelength of a cosine curve).

Its a weird way of thinking about it. But try drawing a picture, it might help.

You're right, I was picturing a sine function. I didn't notice that the sine is opposite, three nodes and two antinodes.

Thanks again

1. What is the definition of speed of transverse wave?

The speed of transverse wave is the rate at which a wave propagates through a medium in a direction perpendicular to the direction of the wave's oscillation.

2. How is the speed of transverse wave calculated?

The speed of transverse wave is calculated by dividing the wavelength of the wave by the period of the wave. It can also be calculated by multiplying the frequency of the wave by its wavelength.

3. What factors affect the speed of transverse wave?

The speed of transverse wave is affected by the properties of the medium through which it is traveling, such as density and elasticity. It is also affected by the frequency and wavelength of the wave.

4. Is the speed of transverse wave constant?

No, the speed of transverse wave is not always constant. It can change depending on the properties of the medium and the characteristics of the wave. For example, the speed of light, a transverse wave, changes when traveling through different mediums.

5. What are some real-world applications of the speed of transverse wave?

The speed of transverse wave is used in various fields, such as telecommunications, seismology, and engineering. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound, to create images of internal body structures.