Statics problem, determinate without moments, indeterminate with?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the tension and reaction forces in a statics homework question. The problem arises when using moments to solve for tension, as the resulting magnitude is only half of what is found by using forces. The issue is resolved by realizing that the reaction force cannot be assumed to be colinear with the member's length.
Taiden
Hey everyone. First time poster here.

I was helping a friend do some Statics homework (I completed the course last Fall), and I ran into a really unsettling problem.

I have done this problem over several times with the same result.

When I do the problem only summing forces in the X and then Y direction, I get an answer that "checks out."

When I do the same problem, but FIRST solve for tension using sum of moments about point R, I get a result for tension that does NOT check out.

I have tried doing this with simple algebra methods, and using cross products to determine the magnitude of tension. EVERY TIME I USE MOMENTS I get the same answer.

Here's the problem:

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3564/stuffcw.png

I just sketched this up. R is just a reaction force. In the actual problem it's a rocker end that is butted up against a floor and a wall. Tension is a wire that is connected to the same wall.

When I sum forces in X and then Y, I get

T = 167.2 N
R = 192.9 NWhen I sum moments I get

T = 83.56 N
then sum moments in Y direction gives me R = 96.42

Just looking for anyone to try to figure it out with moments and see if they can get it to work.

Thanks,
Luke

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
In the actual problem it's a rocker end that is butted up against a floor and a wall. Tension is a wire that is connected to the same wall.

To me this means that the reaction 'R' as you have it is actually 2 components Rx and Ry. Try to solve it like that. The way you have it there are more equations than unknowns which could be why you are getting that issue. (more than one solution..which is not quite right). Opposite of statically indeterminent :)

Hey, thanks for the reply.

You are right. But I didn't draw that in the problem just for simplicity sake. If you break R and T into components, when you sum forces you get:→ƩFx = 0 = -12/13 T + 4/5 R

Solve for T = 13/15 R

^ƩFy = 0 = +5/13 T + 3/5 R - 180

180 = 14/15 R

R = 192.9 Newtons
T = 167.2 Newtons
Doing the beginning of the same problem with moments (dont have much time to go through this):

(ccw+) ƩMr = 0 = +T(12/13)(0.36 meters) + T(5/13)(0.48 meters) - 180(0.24 meters)

180(0.24) = 0.517 T
T = 83.57 Newtons ??
edit: I just realized when I do moments, the magnitude is half of when I do forces. Any insight?

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I showed this problem to a few colleages and we all get the same result. T when found only with forces is double the magnitude of T found starting with moments.

I realized my error. Since it's a 3 force member you cannot assume that the reaction force is colinear to the member's length.

You can't assume that R is in line with the beam.

Edit: Ah, a minute too late.

Thanks Travis, I still really appreciate your post. It's always something trivial, isn't it?

Taiden said:
Thanks Travis, I still really appreciate your post. It's always something trivial, isn't it?

Sure is, I did it twice looking at that diagram and I was scratching my head saying, "What the heck is going on with this?"

It's hard to see those mistakes once you've got it drawn in. All better now though

Glad you figured it out :)

1. What is a statics problem?

A statics problem is a type of engineering problem that involves studying and analyzing the forces acting on a stationary object or structure. It is an important aspect of structural and mechanical engineering as it helps determine the stability and safety of a structure.

2. What does it mean for a problem to be determinate without moments?

A problem is considered determinate without moments if the number of unknown forces and equations are equal, and there are no moments acting on the structure. This means that the problem can be solved using basic equations of equilibrium without the need for more advanced methods.

3. How is an indeterminate problem different from a determinate one?

An indeterminate problem is one where the number of unknown forces and equations are not equal, and there are additional moments or forces acting on the structure. This makes the problem more complex and requires the use of more advanced methods such as the method of joints or method of sections to solve it.

4. What are some common methods used to solve indeterminate statics problems?

Some common methods used to solve indeterminate statics problems include the method of joints, method of sections, and the method of superposition. These methods involve breaking down the structure into smaller, solvable parts and using the principles of equilibrium to determine the unknown forces.

5. Why is it important to solve statics problems accurately?

Solving statics problems accurately is crucial in ensuring the stability and safety of a structure. Any errors in the calculations could lead to structural failure, which can have serious consequences. Accurate solutions also help engineers optimize the design of a structure, making it more efficient and cost-effective.