Solve X-Forces for Frame Statics Problem

In summary: The two x-components of that force are the forces on members BC and BD, respectively.In summary, you have solved for the Y forces, but are unsure of the X-forces. You are using the method of sections to solve for the X-forces, but are unsure of your value of Dx. There is a force acting on B that is due to the loads on members BC and BD.
bob1352
Homework Statement
This is a weekly assignment problem.
Relevant Equations
Fnetx = 0
Fnety = 0
Sum of Moments at a point = 0
So for this problem I have already solved for the Y forces: Dy = 171.43 N, Cy = 228.57 N, and By = -428.57 N. For the X forces I split up the frame and took the moment of DE.

Me = 1.5(300) + 3.5(300) - 5(Dx), Dx = 300

For CD Dx = -Cx fo I got Cx = 300, as when you forces are two member Dx = -300 on member CD. Then I used the moment of ABC to solve for Bx

Ma = -2.5(Bx) + (5)300, Bx = 600 N.

I am almost postive my Y forces are correct, but I am unsure of the X-forces and I can balance the moments, but not the sum of the forces. Am I correct or am I missing something?
AEC-270 4-3.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that support A is of a type that is unable to take horizontal loads.
Link BD is working under compression, while link BE is working under tension.
Therefore, there are two x-component forces acting on B in opposite directions.

So Bx, Cx and Dx should be zero then? I am not using the method of joints, but the technique for multi-force members.

bob1352 said:
So Bx, Cx and Dx should be zero then?
What makes you to think that way?
bob1352 said:
I am not using the method of joints, but the technique for multi-force members.
Could you show us the FBD that you have done so far?

Lnewqban said:
What makes you to think that way?

Could you show us the FBD that you have done so far?
Sure, here you go. I split the frame into parts as what the method of sections suggests.

Attachments

• Handwritten_2023-02-28_184521.pdf
    765.2 KB · Views: 82
bob1352 said:
Sure, here you go. I split the frame into parts as what the method of sections suggests.
Apologies about the delayed response.
Your work looks good, but your value of Dx is incorrect.
Member DE acts as a beam supported at both ends, not like a cantilever beam.
That is because pivot E can't provide any reactive moment.

Simultaneously, pin D is not free to rotate around pivot E under the two lateral loads.
A force must be preventing that rotation from happening.
That force reaches pin D via ground-member AB-pin B-member BD.

Frame Statics Problem (1).jpg

Attachments

• Frame Statics Problem (1).pdf
    23.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

1. What is a "Frame Statics Problem"?

A frame statics problem is a type of engineering problem that involves analyzing the forces acting on a structural frame or system in order to determine its stability and structural integrity.

2. How do you solve for X-Forces in a frame statics problem?

To solve for X-forces in a frame statics problem, you need to first draw a free body diagram of the frame, identify all the external forces acting on the frame, and then use equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown X-forces.

3. What is the importance of solving for X-Forces in a frame statics problem?

Solving for X-forces in a frame statics problem is essential for ensuring the structural stability and safety of the frame. It helps engineers determine whether the frame can withstand the applied forces and if any modifications or reinforcements are needed.

4. What are some common methods used to solve for X-Forces in a frame statics problem?

Some common methods used to solve for X-forces in a frame statics problem include the method of joints, method of sections, and the method of virtual work. These methods use different approaches to analyze the forces and determine the unknown X-forces.

5. How do you know if your solution for X-Forces in a frame statics problem is correct?

To ensure the accuracy of your solution for X-forces in a frame statics problem, you can check for static equilibrium by verifying that the sum of all forces and moments in each direction is equal to zero. Additionally, you can compare your solution to previous known solutions or run simulations to confirm the results.