Can I Post Links to Google Image Searches?

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
In summary, the user expresses concern about receiving an infraction for posting images containing profanity in a forum discussion. They question whether they can simply provide a link to the search results instead, but are reminded that it is their responsibility to ensure the linked content is appropriate. The mentors also remind the user that posting a warning does not excuse breaking forum rules.
FlexGunship
Gold Member
So, the other day I got an infraction for posting the first few results of a Google image search (SafeSearch turned ON) because one of the images contained the "F-word."

It was in the P and WA forum, and they were images of the signs the protesters were holding. I did it to show the various types of displays being used and to show that they were essentially vulgar name calling and nonsensical slogans. I know that images proved my point, but I also know they violated the PF rules. I tried placing a strong warning ABOVE the images indicating there was strong language, but still received an infraction.

Anyway, in the future, can I simply post a link to the search results themselves? I know the link will become less useful as time goes by and the results change, but could it be considered a valid piece of discussion at the time (even if the results themselves, contained profanity)?

Here's an example: (http://www.google.com/search?q=the+...m=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1397&bih=750).

Those are the search results "the internet." I reviewed them, and with SafeSearch On, there is nothing vulgar or distasteful for the first several hundred images.

Please no infractions for this, I'm asking a question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try saying "if you do a google search for "terms x y z", you will see the thing I'm talking about".

Or, if you have nothing better to do, you could blur out the offensive language and upload the edited pic.

Flex, the mentors discussed the list of links, I believe the last 2 were the ones that had offensive language. The mentor was correct, you had enough with the first few links (which were not deleted) to make your point.

On your second point regarding linking directly to the search results, the consensus is that this should be avoided. Dynamic libraries, and search results in particular, can depend not only when you search, but also your location, search settings (e.g. search filter) and cookie status.

Ultimately, you are responsible for the content of any link you post on the forums. It is your responsibility to ensure that the content is appropriate and does not contravene any of our guidelines, either by the letter or in spirit.

On a related note, posting a warning that you have broken the forum rules does not excuse you for actually breaking them.

Evo said:
Flex, the mentors discussed the list of links, I believe the last 2 were the ones that had offensive language. The mentor was correct, you had enough with the first few links (which were not deleted) to make your point.

Hootenanny said:
On your second point regarding linking directly to the search results, the consensus is that this should be avoided. Dynamic libraries, and search results in particular, can depend not only when you search, but also your location, search settings (e.g. search filter) and cookie status.

Ultimately, you are responsible for the content of any link you post on the forums. It is your responsibility to ensure that the content is appropriate and does not contravene any of our guidelines, either by the letter or in spirit.

On a related note, posting a warning that you have broken the forum rules does not excuse you for actually breaking them.

Fair enough. Understood.

1. Can I legally post links to Google Image searches?

Yes, you can legally post links to Google Image searches as long as you are not infringing on any copyright or intellectual property rights. It is important to make sure that you have the right to use the images you are linking to.

2. Do I need permission to post links to Google Image searches?

No, you do not need permission to post links to Google Image searches. However, if you are linking to copyrighted material, it is best to obtain permission from the owner before posting the link.

3. Can I use images from Google Image searches for commercial purposes?

It depends on the specific image and how you plan to use it. Some images may be marked for commercial use, while others may have restrictions. It is important to check the usage rights for each individual image before using it for commercial purposes.

4. Are there any restrictions on the size or format of the images I can link to on Google Image searches?

No, there are no restrictions on the size or format of the images you can link to on Google Image searches. However, it is important to make sure that the image is appropriate for the platform and audience you are sharing it with.

5. Can I modify the images I link to on Google Image searches?

It depends on the usage rights of the specific image. Some images may allow for modifications, while others may have restrictions. It is important to check the usage rights for each individual image before making any modifications.