David Goodsell, Biological Illustrator

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biological
In summary, the conversation discusses an interesting Science magazine news article about David Goodsell, who creates accurate and informative illustrations of biological subjects at the cellular, molecular, and atomic levels. Goodsell's illustrations have inspired other illustrators, including one who created a fantastic HIV virus video featured in the article. The conversation also mentions a molecule/cell part drawing program being developed. The participants note the importance of good diagrams and illustrations in teaching biology and the challenges they faced with inaccurate or overly colorful diagrams in the past.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here is an interesting Science mag news article about David Goodsell, who makes popular, accurate, and informative illustrations of biological subjects at the level of cellular components to molecules and atoms (when possible).
To me, this is one of the most interesting levels of analysis in biology.

I find illustrations like these useful for getting a feel for the proper relationships between components on these scales.

image from here.

Here are more of his illustrations.

He has inspired other illustrators, one of which has a fantastic HIV virus video in the article.

The article also has a link to a molecule/cell part drawing program they are developing.

• Informative
Likes Steelwolf, berkeman and Wrichik Basu
Biology news on Phys.org
Thanks for sharing the information. Teaching biology requires good diagrams and illustrations. This was one problem that I faced throughout my school days when I had bio. The teachers were horrible at diagrams. My mother had studied botany in her B.Sc. She had showed me why diagrams are extremely necessary. And often the diagrams on the net are inaccurate or have too much colour in them. Good illustrators are needed in this subject. Students often fail to understand concepts due to absence of good diagrams.

Likes BillTre

1. Who is David Goodsell?

David Goodsell is a biological illustrator and professor at the Scripps Research Institute. He is known for his beautiful and accurate illustrations of cells and molecules.

2. What is biological illustration?

Biological illustration is the art of creating visual representations of living organisms, cells, and molecules. It combines scientific accuracy with artistic skill to create informative and visually appealing images.

3. What is the purpose of Goodsell's illustrations?

The purpose of Goodsell's illustrations is to help scientists and the general public better understand the complex structures and processes of cells and molecules. They can also be used for educational and informational purposes.

4. How does Goodsell create his illustrations?

Goodsell uses a combination of scientific data, computer software, and artistic skills to create his illustrations. He starts by researching and gathering data on the structure and function of the biological subject, and then uses computer software to model and render the image. Finally, he adds artistic touches to make the image visually appealing.

5. What impact has Goodsell's work had on the scientific community?

Goodsell's illustrations have had a significant impact on the scientific community by making complex scientific concepts more accessible and engaging. They have also been used in textbooks, scientific publications, and educational materials to enhance understanding of biological structures and processes.