Help calculating required material thickness

In summary, a channel needs to be at least as thick as the metal it is carrying, and at least 3 times as wide as the width of the wheel it is carrying. The channel needs to be at least 2000mm long and supported on all 4 corners and on both sides on the middle.
Gaza365
Hi all, I hope you can help... I am by no means smart enough to calculate how thick the material needs to be for a project I am working on, usually I would go by trial end error, but I don't have the budget for that unfortunatley.

I'm am trying to work out what steel thickness I would need for a channel to carry a weight of anywhere between 250- 500kg.

I would be using a "top hat" channel profile. https://www.google.com/search?q=top+hat.+channel&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMwd6K3pPLAhXH6xoKHXqxATEQ_AUICCgC&biw=1024&bih=704#tbm=isch&q=top+hat+channel+dimensions&imgrc=lLp6tg3Q2HM6rM%3A
https://www.google.com/search?q=top...+hat+channel+dimensions&imgrc=lLp6tg3Q2HM6rM:My dimensions following the legend of the above image are :

B: 200mm (plus thickness of material i.e. Inside dimension is 200)
H: 65mm
C: 60mm

The overall length of my channel will be 2000mm (2 meters)

It will be supported on all 4 corners, and on both sides on the middle (6 points of support), it will attach to the "c" portion of the channel.

The whole contraption will carry the weight at two points between 30 and 300mm from either end of the length.

( I am trying to build a mobile workbench for working on motorcycles... So the channel would be attached to hydraulic jacks, the motorbike would be ridden onto the channel and secured. Then the channel jacked up to a civilized working height, and allow me to get under the bike too)

Unfortunately, I have no idea what thickness I should be ordering my channel in that would make it strong enough to carry the weight without bending and buckling?

Hope some one can help!

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not really my field so I might not be able to do all the maths but here is the procedure I would follow.

First off I would see if there is an existing lift I can measure and copy. Why re-invent the wheel?

Failing that..

Start with a diagram of the set up...
Bike lift.png

That can be simplified to give this worse case...
Bike lift1.png

I assume the load on each wheel is equal (500Kg * 9.81 = 5000N, divided beween two wheels is 2500N). Perhaps double that to provide a safety margin?

Then I think you can add more information to reduce the options, for example, do you have an idea of the vertical depth of the U channel you want? Must it be less then the depth of the tyres? Clearly if very shallow it will be harder to keep the bike wheel in the channel as you roll it onto the lift and the metal will have to be thicker. Likewise the width of the channel? Bit wider than common wheels?

If the beam was made weaker and weaker it's likely that the beam will bend excessively before it fails. So the deflection is likely to be more important than absolute strength. This is true in a lot of situations (eg beams in houses). You will need to decide on the maximum deflection you can accept in the middle.

Then look at the equations like these...

http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_bending/beam_bending2e.htm

That gives an equation for max deflection Dmax which is..

Dmax = WL3/48EI

You can rearrange it to give an equation for the required I (the moment of inertia)

I = WL3/48EDmax

The notation is explained on that page.

Then this page gives an equation for the moment of inertia of a U shape channel in terms of it's dimensions..

http://www.engineersedge.com/material_science/moment-inertia-gyration-5.htm

It looks complicated but that's because they have assumed that the walls taper and might be a different thickness to the base of the U. If you assume the U channel is of uniform thickness (eg it's bent from sheet metal) then it will simplify quite a bit.

I think if you plug in some numbers for the preferred depth and width and the modulus of Elasticity E for the material (eg steel) then you should get a value for the thickness of the material needed. It's more likely you will have to find out the dimensions of beams that are in the right ball park and re run the numbers until you get a combination that provides the required moment of inertia calculated above.

There is another equation for the moment of inertia here.

http://www.nilit.com/plastics/images/ts/Inertia.gif

If I done my sums right and made some reasonable assumptions (such as t1 << H) then I simplifies to..

I = H3t1/2

where
H is the depth of the beam
t1 is the thickness of the metal.

Hopefully someone else can confirm all this because as I said, this isn't my field.

Perhaps look at something like a Universal Beam (UB) from a builders merchant (used on it's side). They are I section rather than U section but might be cheaper than a custom beam?

1. How do I calculate the required material thickness for my project?

The required material thickness can be calculated by considering the load or force that will be applied to the material, the material's properties such as yield strength and density, and the desired safety factor. This calculation can be done using formulas or with the help of online calculators.

2. What is the safety factor and how does it impact the required material thickness?

The safety factor is a measure of how much stronger the material is compared to the expected load or force. A higher safety factor means a more reliable and durable design, but it will also require a thicker and potentially more expensive material. The safety factor is typically determined based on the specific application and industry standards.

3. Can the required material thickness be calculated for all types of materials?

Yes, the required material thickness can be calculated for all types of materials, including metals, plastics, and composites. However, the calculation methods and formulas may vary depending on the material's properties and behavior under load.

4. How do I account for factors such as temperature and corrosion in the calculation of required material thickness?

The impact of factors such as temperature and corrosion on the required material thickness can be accounted for by using appropriate safety factors, considering the material's properties under different conditions, and conducting thorough testing and analysis.

5. Are there any tools or software available to help with calculating the required material thickness?

Yes, there are many tools and software available that can assist with calculating the required material thickness. These include online calculators, engineering software programs, and handbooks with material property data and calculation methods. It is important to verify the accuracy and reliability of these tools before using them for critical applications.