Is Self-Replication Possible Through the Miller-Urey Experiment?

• Thread starter Dr Cadaver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the Miller-Urey experiment has generated both agreement and disagreement about its validity. The speaker is seeking a deeper understanding of the process and asks for thoughts and links to more information. They also inquire about self-replicating molecules and mention the possibility of catalytic RNAs. The speaker offers to share their undergrad thesis for further sources on the topic.
Dr Cadaver
For some time now, I have been fascinated by the Miller-Urey experiment. However, after watching many videos and reading articles, I find that many people either agree and disagree about the validity of the process. I would like to understand the process with a little more depth than what I have found thus far. I would appreciate any thoughts on the topic, as well as some links to any sites that can shine some light on it. Also, I would like to know if there has ever been any molecules found that are able to self-replicate.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The Miller-Urey experiment paved the way for many more recent and probably more valid (at least in the eyes of those that would question MU's validity) experiments.

Self-replication is tricky business. The most progress has been made with catalytic RNAs. I wrote my undergrad thesis on this topic, so if you'd like to take a look and get some more sources, I've attached it.

Attachments

• Jones, Andrew Lipid encapsulation of self replicating ribozymes.docx
    351 KB · Views: 186
Likes 1 person

1. What is the Miller-Urey experiment?

The Miller-Urey experiment, conducted in 1953 by chemists Stanley Miller and Harold Urey, was an experiment designed to simulate the conditions of early Earth in order to understand how life could have originated.

2. What were the results of the Miller-Urey experiment?

The Miller-Urey experiment produced organic compounds such as amino acids, which are the building blocks of proteins. This demonstrated that the basic building blocks of life could have formed spontaneously on early Earth.

3. How did the Miller-Urey experiment contribute to the understanding of the origin of life?

The Miller-Urey experiment provided evidence that the early Earth's atmosphere, which was thought to be mostly composed of methane, ammonia, and hydrogen, could have produced organic compounds through chemical reactions. This supports the theory that life on Earth originated from non-living matter.

4. Has the Miller-Urey experiment been replicated with different conditions?

Yes, the Miller-Urey experiment has been replicated with different environmental conditions, such as different atmospheric compositions and energy sources. These experiments have produced a variety of organic compounds, further supporting the idea that life could have originated from non-living matter.

5. What are some criticisms of the Miller-Urey experiment?

Some criticisms of the Miller-Urey experiment include the fact that it does not account for other factors that may have been present on early Earth, such as volcanic activity and the presence of other gases. Additionally, some scientists argue that the experiment does not accurately reflect the actual conditions of early Earth.