Vector Cross Product: Calculating -i x i = 0?

In summary, the cross product of -i x i is -1. The vector product of a vector with itself is calculated using the formula w = v((u.v)/(modulusv^2)). The projection of u onto v, where u=-i+2j and v=i+2j, is (4/5)i + (8/5)j. Note that the cross product is not involved in this calculation, only the dot product.
Ry122
What is the cross product of -i x i? Is it negative 1 or is still just 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that for any 2 vectors a,b: -a x b = -(a x b). This reduces the problem to -(i x i).

Now what is the vector product of a vector with itself?

well can you tell me how the projection of u on to v
where
u=-i+2j and v=i+2j is
v=(3/5)i+(6/5)j ?
The answer i got was (4/5)i + (8/5)j
i used the equation
w=v.((u.v)/(modulusv^2))

Ry122 said:
i used the equation
w=v.((u.v)/(modulusv^2))
This equation for the projection is

[tex]\mathbf w = \mathbf v \frac {\mathbf u \cdot \mathbf v}{v^2}[/tex]

Note well: The cross product is not involved when you compute the projection this way.

That's the same equation that I gave. yeah i realized my mistake after posting, i should have said dot product, not cross product.

1. What is a vector cross product?

A vector cross product is a mathematical operation that calculates a new vector that is perpendicular to the two original vectors. It is denoted by the symbol "x" and is commonly used in physics and engineering.

2. How do you calculate a vector cross product?

To calculate a vector cross product, you need to use the following formula:
A x B = (AyBz - AzBy)i + (AzBx - AxBz)j + (AxBy - AyBx)k
Where A and B are the two vectors and i, j, and k represent the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions respectively.

3. What is the result of the cross product of two parallel vectors?

The result of the cross product of two parallel vectors is always a zero vector (0, 0, 0). This is because the angle between two parallel vectors is 0 degrees, and the sine of 0 is also 0, making all components of the cross product equal to 0.

4. Is the order of the vectors important when calculating a cross product?

Yes, the order of the vectors is important when calculating a cross product. Switching the order of the vectors will result in a vector with the opposite direction.

5. What does it mean when the cross product of two vectors is equal to zero?

If the cross product of two vectors is equal to zero, it means that the two vectors are either parallel or antiparallel to each other. This means that they either have the same direction or opposite directions, respectively.