Absolute Extrema of two variables?

In summary, absolute extrema for two variables refer to the highest and lowest values of a function over a given domain in two dimensions, and can be found by taking the partial derivatives of the function and setting them equal to zero. A function can have multiple absolute extrema, and the main difference between absolute and local extrema is that the former covers the entire domain while the latter is limited to a specific interval. The absolute extrema of a function can change over different intervals due to changes in its domain, and it is important to evaluate the function over the entire domain to accurately determine the absolute extrema.
tak13

Homework Statement

Given function f(x,y) = 3x2 - 2xy + 2y
a) find the critical point(s) of f,
b) sketch the region R: the triangular region in the xy-plane with vertices (0,0) (0,6) and (3,6)
c) find the absolute maximum and absolute minimum of f over R

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did all of them, just want you guys to check if I made any mistake:

a)fx= 6x - 2y
fy= -2x + 2

6x - 2y = 0 ; 6 = 2y ; y = 3
-2x + 2 = 0 ; x = 1

critical points (1,3)

b)
[PLAIN]http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/4607/68009750.jpg c) f(1,3) = 3*1 - 2*1*3 + 2*3
= 3 - 6 + 6
= 3

x= 0 0=<y=<6
y= 6 0=<x=<3
y=2x 0=<x=<3x= 0 0=<y=<6
f(0,y) = 2y
f(0,0) = 0
f(0,6) = 12y= 6 0=<x=<3
f(x,6) = 3x2 -12x + 12
f(0,6) = 0 - 0 + 12 = 12
f(3,6) = 9 - 36 +12 = -15y=2x 0=<x=<3
f(x,y)=g(x,y)= 3x2 -2x(2x) + 2(2x)
= 3x2 -4x2 + 4x
f(0) = 0
f(3) = 27 - 36 + 12 = 3

Absolute max is 12 at f(0,6) and absolute min is -15 at f(3,6)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tak13 said:

Homework Statement

Given function f(x,y) = 3x2 - 2xy + 2y
a) find the critical point(s) of f,
b) sketch the region R: the triangular region in the xy-plane with vertices (0,0) (0,6) and (3,6)
c) find the absolute maximum and absolute minimum of f over R

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did all of them, just want you guys to check if I made any mistake:

a)fx= 6x - 2y
fy= -2x + 2

6x - 2y = 0 ; 6 = 2y ; y = 3
-2x + 2 = 0 ; x = 1

critical points (1,3)

b)
[PLAIN]http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/4607/68009750.jpg

c) f(1,3) = 3*1 - 2*1*3 + 2*3
= 3 - 6 + 6
= 3

x= 0 0=<y=<6
y= 6 0=<x=<3
y=2x 0=<x=<3

x= 0 0=<y=<6
f(0,y) = 2y
f(0,0) = 0
f(0,6) = 12

y= 6 0=<x=<3
f(x,6) = 3x2 -12x + 12
f(0,6) = 0 - 0 + 12 = 12
f(3,6) = 9 - 36 +12 = -15
Mistake above. f(3, 6) = 3.
tak13 said:
y=2x 0=<x=<3
f(x,y)=g(x,y)= 3x2 -2x(2x) + 2(2x)
= 3x2 -4x2 + 4x
Along the line y = 2x, f(x, y) = f(x, 2x) = g(x)
tak13 said:
f(0) = 0
f(3) = 27 - 36 + 12 = 3

Absolute max is 12 at f(0,6) and absolute min is -15 at f(3,6)

Thanks in advance!
Check along the boundary lines again for the minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
Along the line y = 2x, f(x, y) = f(x, 2x) = g(x)
So for this one, it is just about the way I write it right? not something wrong the the results?

Mark44 said:
Check along the boundary lines again for the minimum.

So I checked again, due the the error I made above, the absolute minimum now is 0 at f(0,0) and f(2,6). is that correct?

Thanks for reply!

Yeah, the first was just correcting how you wrote it. As for the second, the smallest value I got was 0, too.

I didn't say it before -- except for the small error, your work was pretty good!

1. What is the definition of absolute extrema for two variables?

Absolute extrema for two variables refers to the highest and lowest values of a function over a given domain in two dimensions. It is the global maximum and minimum of the function, as opposed to local extrema which are only the highest and lowest values within a specific interval or region.

2. How do I find the absolute extrema of a function with two variables?

To find the absolute extrema of a function with two variables, you can use the method of finding critical points by taking the partial derivatives of the function and setting them equal to zero. Then, evaluate the function at these critical points and compare the values to determine the absolute extrema.

3. Can a function have more than one absolute extrema with two variables?

Yes, a function can have multiple absolute extrema with two variables. This occurs when the function has multiple critical points that are all global maximum or minimum values. It is important to evaluate the function at each critical point to determine if it is an absolute extrema or a local extrema.

4. What is the difference between absolute extrema and local extrema for two variables?

The main difference between absolute extrema and local extrema for two variables is that absolute extrema are the highest and lowest values of a function over its entire domain, while local extrema are only the highest and lowest values within a specific interval or region. Local extrema may occur at critical points, but not all critical points are absolute extrema.

5. Can the absolute extrema of a function with two variables change over different intervals?

Yes, the absolute extrema of a function with two variables can change over different intervals. This is because the domain of the function may change, leading to different critical points and therefore different absolute extrema. It is important to evaluate the function over the entire domain to accurately determine the absolute extrema.