Can Poor First Year Grades Be Overcome in Pursuit of Excellence?

• Thread starter th3plan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary: He also said that sometimes the reference letters are way more important. Would this be true?Yes, it is generally true that reference letters are more important than grades.
th3plan
Does everyone who is an engineering major spent most of there time studying during school. Cause I'm in my 2nd year and all I do is study and no time for fun. Or is it cause I'm slow :D? I also know people in other majors and they have crazy free time. This is toward students who are full time

Physics news on Phys.org
I spent a lot of time studying in undergrad (physics) and I lived with a house of guys in kinesiology so there was certainly a difference in study loads. But as with most things, what you get out is proportional to what you put in.

I totaly agree. Put in the time. Only worry about the grades you get. If your getting 100% take some time off. Other than that the other pple are proably copying and not learning. I took civil engineering. I studied all day and night dude.
Good Luck,

I had a roommate who was studying to be a teacher. I never saw her do any homework during the semester I lived there, until the night before the final.

I came home to see her at the table cutting out pictures from a magazine...her final was to make a collage poster. Unbelievable!

(I was a physics major...I studied every day of the semester, probably 8 to 10 hours a day!)

lisab said:
I had a roommate who was studying to be a teacher. I never saw her do any homework during the semester I lived there, until the night before the final.

I came home to see her at the table cutting out pictures from a magazine...her final was to make a collage poster. Unbelievable!

(I was a physics major...I studied every day of the semester, probably 8 to 10 hours a day!)

That's why I hate those people :grumpy:

I am in engineering and I also study whole semester each day - nothing else

Studying all the time is completely normal. For me during the semester (physics) a typical day is 7am wake up, 830-5 classes, lab work, studying when not doing either, 5pm-2 am study, 2am-7am sleep (or study, on a really bad day, using coffee to temporarily replace sleep). Time for eating and using the bathroom can be allocated as needed.

Not uncommon for physical scientists. Trust me when I tell you those that seemingly have time for fun time are likely getting Cs. This may not happen in first year because a lot of students already know first year material.

th3plan said:
Does everyone who is an engineering major spent most of there time studying during school. Cause I'm in my 2nd year and all I do is study and no time for fun. Or is it cause I'm slow :D? I also know people in other majors and they have crazy free time. This is toward students who are full time

Unfortunately, this is the way of the world. I remember having lab reports due the day after spring break.

The reward for your years of misery is a job where you treated as fungible- replacable by the next crop of fresh-outs. So don't expect to get paid well, either.

Hence, you should *enjoy* what you are doing, rather than doing it thinking you are going to be financially secure.

Howers said:
Not uncommon for physical scientists. Trust me when I tell you those that seemingly have time for fun time are likely getting Cs. This may not happen in first year because a lot of students already know first year material.

My Professors just gave the class an interesting 15 minute lecture on how we shouldn't go about whining about our grades as they are not the only most important thing an employer will look at. He also said that sometimes the reference letters are way more important. Would this be true?

My other question is about your comment as well. If someone does not do well in first year would they still have a chance of becoming the best or improving their grades to an excellent level of 85%+? I am currently in this position right now after first year, although I tend to love a lot of the topics that were taught and I am currently going over them to strengthen my knowledge some more. Thnanks.

Likewise, I study a lot. My school is slightly bipolar, half cores sciences/engineering, half business. There were always people slacking off and then I found out they were business while all of the physics and sciences were studying like hell. Put the time in, you'll appreciate it more in the long run.

BioCore said:
My Professors just gave the class an interesting 15 minute lecture on how we shouldn't go about whining about our grades as they are not the only most important thing an employer will look at. He also said that sometimes the reference letters are way more important. Would this be true?

My other question is about your comment as well. If someone does not do well in first year would they still have a chance of becoming the best or improving their grades to an excellent level of 85%+? I am currently in this position right now after first year, although I tend to love a lot of the topics that were taught and I am currently going over them to strengthen my knowledge some more. Thnanks.

Your prof should be stabbed in the face for saying grades are not important. Although I'm almost certain he meant it in the context of knowledge being more important than grades, which is true. However, grades are the best way we have developed to assess knowledge so do the math. As a general rule, employers won't ask questions as long as your GPA is above 3.0.

What I was saying is a lot of those people who claim they have a lot of free time tend to get Cs, though they usually can get away with As in first year. You are not in that lot. Screwing up first year is a common tale. There is nothing preventing you from getting excellent grades in the following years. Just be sure you understand the first year stuff really well. You really need to figure out why you screwed up first year and how you will fix it.

BioCore said:
It's rather common to screw up the first few courses of college education, despite the fact that they're introductory courses. I matriculated in college during summer vacation under a special early enrolment programme and did a couple of courses then, but somehow despite the fact I was doing so few courses I managed to screw one of those up, not failing but receiving a poor grade on it which served as sort of a wake-up call to me. But because of that experience, I've become much more conscious of my individual learning pace and have learned how to adapt to college life and expectations. When I began my first semester and was doing the standard course load of 5 classes, I was able to focus and study better. It paid off in my second semester too, as my semestral GPA was better in my 2nd semester then in my first.

And if there is anything I learned about studying it's the importance of doing it in groups. I remember spending 4-5 hours on a single concept which I simply couldn't grasp but later somehow managed to understand it easily when I overheard a group of students discuss it while studying together.

I see, thanks for the quick replies. I will try to heed the advice and actually will look through all my past study habits and maybe even tests to see what went wrong with my studying and how I can improve it.

BioCore said:

Reference letters are increasingly useless.

If you do not well in your first year, but then follow with 3 years of excellence, the first year will be ignored.

1. What are some effective study habits?

Some effective study habits include creating a study schedule, breaking down study material into manageable chunks, using mnemonic devices to remember information, and taking regular breaks to avoid burnout. It is also important to find a comfortable and distraction-free study space.

2. How can I stay motivated while studying?

To stay motivated while studying, it can be helpful to set specific and achievable goals, reward yourself for completing tasks, and remind yourself of the benefits of studying and learning. It can also be helpful to study with a group or find a study buddy to keep each other accountable.

3. How much time should I spend studying each day?

The amount of time spent studying each day can vary depending on the individual and the subject matter. However, a good rule of thumb is to spend at least one to two hours per day studying for each credit hour of a course. This means that for a three-credit course, you should aim to study for three to six hours per week.

4. Is it better to study in short bursts or for longer periods of time?

This can depend on personal preference and learning style. Some people may find it more effective to study in shorter bursts of 30-45 minutes with short breaks in between, while others may prefer longer study sessions of one to two hours. Experiment with different methods to find what works best for you.

5. What should I do if I have trouble concentrating while studying?

If you have trouble concentrating while studying, try to eliminate distractions such as your phone or TV. It can also be helpful to take short breaks every 30-45 minutes to avoid burnout. Additionally, try different study methods such as using flashcards or teaching the material to someone else to keep your mind engaged.