Why Does Covered Ice Tray Freeze Ice More Effectively?

In summary, when I fill two plastic trays with water, one covered and one not, the ice in the covered tray freezes the ice to the point that the ice is much more difficult to extract from the tray.
Curious jack
i fill two ice trays, one covered and one not. The ice in the covered tray freezes the ice to the point that the ice is much more difficult to extract from the tray. Why is that?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Please elaborate, your desciption of the 'experimental procedure' is too vague.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious jack said:
i fill two ice trays, one covered and one not. The ice in the covered tray freezes the ice to the point that the ice is much more difficult to extract from the tray. Why is that?

To restate: When I fill the two plastic trays with water, I place the two trays in my freezer.Then, I place a cover over one tray.
the ice tray not covered is much easier to extract the ice from. Meaning, I simply turn the plastic ice tray over, twist it and all the cubes easily fall from the tray. Conversely, the tray that I placed a cover over requires more effort. In fact, after twisting the tray to the point of cracking the ice tray, I always have to run water on the top and bottom of the tray before the ice cubes will fall from the tray. Why is that?

I've noticed that ice cubes left in the freezer too long will sublimate and in particular, you'll get a gap between the tray and cube. But cover the tray = no sublimation.

russ_watters said:
I've noticed that ice cubes left in the freezer too long will sublimate and in particular, you'll get a gap between the tray and cube. But cover the tray = no sublimation.

Thanks russ. One more point to my experiment: We're not talking long term freezing. Both trays were put in the same time, and within 2 days, both are removed. The above results continually proved that the tray covered required water from the faucet to separate the ice from the tray. While the ice cubes from the non-covered ice tray simply/freely fell from the tray with only one twist of the tray -no water from the faucet required.

How long after trays are removed from the fridge? Can it be in any way connected with the fact that after removal the one covered was isolated from the air around and was colder when you remove the ice? Have you always covered the same tray, or have you done it at random? Have you always placed both trays in the same places in the fridge?

1. Why does covering an ice tray make the ice freeze faster?

Covering an ice tray traps the cold air inside, creating a more insulated environment. This allows the ice to freeze at a faster rate since the cold temperature is not escaping as easily.

2. Can any type of cover be used to make ice freeze faster?

Yes, any type of cover that fits tightly over the ice tray can help to trap the cold air and make the ice freeze faster. This can include plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or a lid specifically designed for an ice tray.

3. Does the shape or size of the ice tray affect the effectiveness of covering it?

The shape or size of the ice tray does not necessarily affect the effectiveness of covering it. The important factor is that the cover fits tightly and creates a seal to trap the cold air inside.

4. Will covering an ice tray also prevent freezer burn on the ice?

Covering an ice tray can help to prevent freezer burn on the ice by creating a barrier between the ice and the cold air in the freezer. However, it is still important to use the ice within a reasonable amount of time to avoid freezer burn.

5. Are there any other benefits to covering an ice tray besides faster freezing?

Yes, covering an ice tray can also prevent any odors from the freezer from affecting the taste of the ice. It can also prevent any potential contaminants from getting into the ice, making it more hygienic to use.