Differential Approximation

In summary: The tip of the shadow is x+ s and, since x'= 1 m/s, (x+ s)'= x'+ s'= 1+ s'. With s'= 3.2, (x+ s)'= 4.2 m/s. The answer to that question is also 4.2 m/s. Both rates are positive because both lengths are increasing. In summary, the length of the person's shadow is increasing at a rate of 3.2 m/s and the tip of the shadow is moving away from the lamp post at a speed of 4.2 m/s.
recoil33
"Differential Approximation"

A person of height 1.9m is walking away from a lamp-post at 1m/s. The light on the lamp-post is 5.1m above the ground.

1. At what rate (in m/s to the nearest cm/s) is the length of the person's shadow changing?

2. At what speed (in m/s to the nearest cm/s) is the tip of the person's shadow moving across the ground?

Alright, I'll be one second to type my working out. I really do not understand what I'm doing much. Any help would be appreciated.

1.9/s = 5.1/s+x

ds/dt + dx/dt

1.9/s = 5.1/(s+x) ---> 1.9(s+x)=13s

1.9(ds/dt + dx/dt) = 13(ds/dt)

we know that dx/dt = 1 ms^-1 (the speed he's walking)

therefore.

s' + x' = (1.9*1)/(5.1-1.9) + 1 = 4.8/3.2

therefore, i got the shadow moving at 4.8/3.2 m/s which is wrong? ;s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

recoil33 said:
A person of height 1.9m is walking away from a lamp-post at 1m/s. The light on the lamp-post is 5.1m above the ground.

1. At what rate (in m/s to the nearest cm/s) is the length of the person's shadow changing?

2. At what speed (in m/s to the nearest cm/s) is the tip of the person's shadow moving across the ground?

Alright, I'll be one second to type my working out. I really do not understand what I'm doing much. Any help would be appreciated.

1.9/s = 5.1/s+x
I presume you drew a picture with a horizontal line as the ground, the lamp post as one vertical leg and the person as another. Drawing a straight line from the lamp through the top of the person's head to the ground gives to similar right triangles. The height of the smaller triangle is the person's height, 1.9, and the base is the length of his shadow, s. The height of the larger triangle is the height of the lamp and the base is the person's distance from the lamp post plus the length of his shadow, x+ s.

(Suggestion- do not use symbols like "x" and "s" without explaining what they mean: "x is the distance from the lamp post to the person, in meters, and s is the length of his shadow, in meters.")

Since these triangles are similar, the ratios are the same: 1.9/s= 5.1/(s+ x) (notice the parentheses-- what you wrote would be properly interpreted as 1.9/s= (5.1/s)+ x). However, you could also write that proportion as s/1.9= (s+ x)/5.1 and I think you will find that easier.

ds/dt + dx/dt
Since this isn't equal to anything I have no idea what you mean or why you wrote this.

1.9/s = 5.1/(s+x) ---> 1.9(s+x)=13s
What? Where did the "13" come from? "Cross multiplying" gives 1.9(s+ x)= 5.1s
But somehow, that "13" gets changed back to "5.1" so it does not affect the result.

1.9(ds/dt + dx/dt) = 13(ds/dt)

we know that dx/dt = 1 ms^-1 (the speed he's walking)

therefore.

s' + x' = (1.9*1)/(5.1-1.9) + 1 = 4.8/3.2

therefore, i got the shadow moving at 4.8/3.2 m/s which is wrong? ;s
Differentiating, 1.9(s'+ x')= 5.1s'. and, since x'= 1, 1.9(s'+ 1)= 1.9s'+ 1.9= 5.1s'.

(1.9- 5.1)s'= -1.9 so that s'= 1.9/(5.1- 1.9)= 3.2 m/s which is what you appear to get. Since s is the length of the shadow, that value is the rate at which the length of the shadow is growing, the solution to the problem.

Adding 1 to s' gives the rate at which the tip of the shadow is moving away from the lam post which was not asked.

What is differential approximation?

Differential approximation is a numerical method used to estimate the value of a function at a specific point by using the values of the function at nearby points.

How is differential approximation calculated?

Differential approximation is calculated using the slope of a line connecting two points on the function. This slope, also known as the difference quotient, is then used to approximate the value of the function at a specific point.

What are the advantages of using differential approximation?

One advantage of using differential approximation is that it allows for the estimation of values of a function at points where the function is not explicitly defined. It also provides a way to quickly approximate values without having to manually calculate them.

What are the limitations of differential approximation?

Differential approximation is only an approximation and may not give an exact value of the function at a specific point. It also requires that the function is differentiable at the point of interest.

How is differential approximation used in real-world applications?

Differential approximation is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to estimate values of functions that are too complex to be solved analytically. It is also used in computer algorithms for optimization and machine learning.