How to become an astronaut with electronics background?

In summary, This conversation contains advice on how to become an astronaut. Engineering is a good step for someone interested in becoming an astronaut, but other qualifications may be necessary, such as flying. The easiest way to become an astronaut may be to make a large amount of money in the electronics industry.
kingsarat
Hello,
Am from India and am going to finish my engineering in electronics and communications in 2012. I want to become an astronaut. I made wrong step while choosing the specialization in engineering. Now am searching for opportunities to become an astronaut.

If you are from U.S.A or from germany or from some other country and if you don't know about options to become an astronaut in India, suggest the ways to become an astronaut in your country with electronics background. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
need a phd
need to be in military
need to be incredibly healthy
need to be have mastery of the selected language in the country you are being an astronaut for.

What's wrong with engineering? Looks like a good first step. But learn to fly in your spare time, gliders if you can't afford anything else, and do all the astronautic/aeronautic engineering you can.

Learn Russian. The two Indian astronauts on Wikipeda were involved in the Russian space programme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Indian_astronauts

I'm in the UK, which is no place to become an astronaut. I haven't heard much in that line being offered in Europe at all. So stay in India - think about Russia - copy what the other Indian astronauts did, and be *very* brave. (Air Force test pilot seems to be the main qualification...)

engineering is good step for you. you can make your career in engineering ,don't go away from her path.

My advise...dont come to the US we don't have a space program

Thanks to all for clarifying my confusion!I tried for flying... But they stopped me because I have eyesight of 7.! Am planning for aerospace! Can someone suggest me the place where the education is good for aerospace??

1. How much education is required to become an astronaut with an electronics background?

To become an astronaut with an electronics background, you will need at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as electrical engineering, computer science, or physics. However, many astronauts also have advanced degrees such as a master's or doctorate.

2. Can I become an astronaut with a degree in a different field but with electronics experience?

While having a degree in a relevant field is preferred, it is possible to become an astronaut with an electronics background through relevant work experience. NASA looks for candidates with a strong understanding of electronics and computer systems, so having experience in these areas can make you a competitive candidate.

3. What skills are essential for an astronaut with an electronics background?

In addition to technical skills such as proficiency in electronics and computer systems, astronauts with an electronics background should also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. They should also be physically fit and have the ability to work well in a team.

4. Are there any age restrictions for becoming an astronaut with an electronics background?

There are no specific age restrictions for becoming an astronaut with an electronics background. However, most astronauts are between the ages of 26 and 46 years old. It is important to note that NASA looks for candidates who are in good health and physical condition, so age may be a factor in the selection process.

5. What is the application process for becoming an astronaut with an electronics background?

The application process for becoming an astronaut with an electronics background typically involves submitting an online application, taking a series of tests, and completing a comprehensive medical examination. If selected, candidates will then go through a rigorous training program before being assigned to a mission.