Where can I find an online calculator for lambda calculus?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the need for an online calculator that allows the result to be used in the next calculation, similar to the "Ans" key on real-world calculators. The difference between this and a sequence is that the previous answer needs to be used in two places in the equation. Someone suggests downloading a free alternative to Mathematica or MATLAB, to which the original person responds that they already have MATLAB.
saviourmachine
Does anyone know of an online lambda calculator? Or actually I need an online calculator that allows the result to be used in the next calculation. Like the "Ans[wer]" key on some realworld calculators. It allows me to see for myself how for example the Cauchy series "1/Ans + Ans/2" converges. The difference with a sequence like "2*2 Ans" is that know the previous answer have to be used on two places in the equation.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If I were you, I'd just download Maxima (the free analogue of Mathematica) or Octave (the free analogue of MATLAB). Both should be more than capable of what you're trying to do.

- Warren

Yes, I've Matlab. But thanks anyway for your suggestion.

I don't fully understand your post. Are you looking for an interpreter for the lambda calculus, as in lisp?

Last edited:

1. What is an online lambda calculator?

An online lambda calculator is a tool that allows users to perform calculations involving lambda expressions. Lambda expressions are a type of mathematical notation used in computer programming and formal logic to represent functions. The calculator takes in inputs in the form of lambda expressions and outputs the result of the calculation.

2. How does an online lambda calculator work?

An online lambda calculator works by taking in inputs in the form of lambda expressions and then evaluating them using a set of rules. These rules follow the principles of lambda calculus, a branch of mathematics that deals with functions and their evaluation. The calculator then displays the result of the calculation to the user.

3. What are the benefits of using an online lambda calculator?

Using an online lambda calculator can save time and effort when performing complex calculations involving lambda expressions. It also allows for quick and accurate evaluation of expressions, reducing the chances of human error. Additionally, the calculator can handle more complicated expressions than a traditional calculator, making it a useful tool for researchers and scientists.

4. Is an online lambda calculator suitable for beginners?

While some knowledge of lambda calculus may be helpful in using an online lambda calculator, it is designed to be user-friendly and accessible for beginners. Many calculators provide instructions and examples to help users understand how to input and evaluate expressions. With some practice, beginners can quickly become comfortable using an online lambda calculator.

5. Are there any limitations to using an online lambda calculator?

Like any tool, there are some limitations to using an online lambda calculator. The calculator may not be able to handle extremely complex or large expressions, and it may not support all types of lambda expressions. Additionally, errors may occur if the input is incorrect or incomplete. It is always important to double-check the inputs and results when using an online lambda calculator.